ArubaOS and Controllers

bt4
Occasional Contributor II

CAC period warnings

Hello everyone

Since upgrading our M3 controllers from 5.x to 6.x we are seeing endless syslog messages like this :-

WARNING!!! 10 minute CAC period as channel is a weather radar channel

Could anyone advise what this means and whether we need to be concerned about it?

Thanks

Ben
Aruba

CAC period warnings

Sounds like a message being noted as the APs are detecting what they think is radar in the 5.0 GHz band. Thus they have to move off channel.

Can you describe 'endless' ... how often? How many of your APs are doing/showing this ?
bt4

Re: CAC period warnings

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

We are seeing about 10 messages per second and they are coming from around 100 different access points.

Cheers

Ben
Guru Elite

Please open a support case. We need to ensure that based on your specific version of code, that the correct channels are supported based on your regulatory domain. We need to make sure that you are not using DFS channels, or you are NOT seeing a false positive.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
bt4

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can do. The problem is that access to Aruba TAC is so expensive. I know there is the option of partner support, but this is still quite expensive and you have the hassle of explaining everything twice.

I am comparing Aruba to HP and the free support they provide for our wired networking equipment. However, I do understand that there are other vendors of wired and wireless equipment which are very expensive, just like Aruba.

Ben
Guru Elite

In my opinion, you cannot compare support for wired and wireless, at all. While wired networking has largely not changed significantly, wireless technology is evolving constantly on a number of fronts and is now becoming a medium that people depend on; at times more than wireless.

The reason why we would say open a support case, because asking you some questions here would make you reveal some details here that are private, and we would not want to do that. Since there is a limit to what we can ask you, it will delay you getting a resolution to your issue. With that being said:

- What version of ArubaOS exactly are you running?
- What is your regulatory domain?
- What channels are you running on 5ghz and 2.4ghz?
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
bt4

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Let's agree to disagree about support. I recently demo'd a competing vendors wireless solution and quickly came to the conclusion that Aruba wireless kit is still the best. So I suppose I can't really complain.

Our software version is: 6.1.2.0
The regulatory domain is: GB - United Kingdom
Regarding the channels, we are using the default settings which are :-
- Valid 802.11a 40MHz - none selected
- Valid 802.11g 40MHz - none selected
- Valid 802.11a channel - all channels selected
- Valid 802.11g channel - 1,6,11 selected

Thanks

Ben
bt4

Just replying to my own post.. I am slightly confused about the fact that the default settings have no 40MHz channels defined, yet we are using high throughput on the 5GHz band. Could this be an issue?
Guru Elite

If you have none selected, it will use all available.

Do you have an exact copy of the syslog message?
Colin Joseph

bt4

Jul 6 06:25:06 arubacontroller x.x.x.x KERNEL(zzzz@x.x.x.x): WARNING!!! 10 minute CAC period as channel is a weather radar channel
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: