ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

CLI verses GUI

I use the CLI with every switch and router on campus except the Aruba controller. I have been working with this controller for about 3 months and only with the web GUI. Should I go back and learn the CLI. Which is better. I know that is an opinion but a bunch of one line replies with opinions would be helpfull. My main concern is that we have three controllers and when I add a group in the GUI it is taken care of. Do I consider the master controller to be the one I use for the cli or do I have to duplicate across all controllers. In the gui it shows all the AP's in the cli it only shows the ones on that particular controller. I am at a point that I could go either way and I am just looking for what most others use.

Thanks
Mark
Guru Elite

CLI vs. GUI: Master vs. Local

I use the CLI with every switch and router on campus except the Aruba controller. I have been working with this controller for about 3 months and only with the web GUI. Should I go back and learn the CLI. Which is better. I know that is an opinion but a bunch of one line replies with opinions would be helpfull. My main concern is that we have three controllers and when I add a group in the GUI it is taken care of. Do I consider the master controller to be the one I use for the cli or do I have to duplicate across all controllers. In the gui it shows all the AP's in the cli it only shows the ones on that particular controller. I am at a point that I could go either way and I am just looking for what most others use.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

there are some things that are easier to do via the cli. Every config screen has a "show commands" button which will show you the CLI equivalent of the GUI, before it is committed via the APPLY button. You will have to decide if CLI is more efficient than the gui, but there are some things that you can only accomplish via the commandline, and some things you can only accomplish via the gui.

With regards to the master-local situation, when controllers are in a master-local relationship, the majority of the configuration is done via the master. You still have to do the layer2/ layer3 configuration on each local controller individually.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: CLI verses GUI

My personal opinion is that you should be familiar with both the CLI and the GUI. I'm always very cautious of doing anything to the physical interfaces, spanning tree, VRRP, etc. on the GUI. I do all that by the CLI. Additionally, the "show" commands are invaluable and much easier, if not exclusively available, via the CLI.

I had a situation just the other week where I enabled IGMP snooping (just that one check box) on an interface of my primary master controller via the GUI and I got a message that the controller address has changed and needed a reboot. All the locals lost their connection to the primary master. I had to do a quick reboot in the middle of the day to resolve. Some lessons you learn the hard way - I should have just put that one command in via the CLI and that could have been avoided.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: CLI verses GUI

I agree it appears that both are good to know. Because of the gui use on the aruba I have started using the gui for some thing on my switches. My next question which may need to be another post is that I inherited this aruba controller and I really have no training on it. The gui is relatively intuitive the cli works closer to the cisoc equipment I have worked with than the alcatel I currently work with but I am sure it is not the same as either and I have no manual at all. Is there some sort of online class or third party books on the 6000? My vendor sent me some sort of training manual but it is really just a bunch of power point slides.

Thanks
Mark
Guru Elite

Training

I agree it appears that both are good to know. Because of the gui use on the aruba I have started using the gui for some thing on my switches. My next question which may need to be another post is that I inherited this aruba controller and I really have no training on it. The gui is relatively intuitive the cli works closer to the cisoc equipment I have worked with than the alcatel I currently work with but I am sure it is not the same as either and I have no manual at all. Is there some sort of online class or third party books on the 6000? My vendor sent me some sort of training manual but it is really just a bunch of power point slides.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

Please start on the page here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/education/train.php There are a number of online courses, including a video at level 0 of Jon Green explaining how to do basic controller setup. When you are finished with these or feel comfortable, there is also paid training on the same page. If you have any questions, search the archives of these forums, or the knowledgebase on the support site, for answers.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: