ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Captive Portal Certificate

I have setup guest wireless with a captive portal that just requires users to accept wireless T&C and they get on. Company employees will be allowed to get on with there personal mobile devices.

I obtained a wildcard cert from digicert, in other words *.companyname.com, which I have on the controller. Windows PC with using IE seem to like the cert fine but mobile devices still complain about it. One of the security engineers in my group thinks I need to get a host specific cert for the controller, but that requires paying a few hundred dollars to a CA. Does anybody know for sure this is the problem?
Guru Elite

Re: Captive Portal Certificate

Quite possibly that is the case. I personally have had nothing but trouble with wildcard certificates. I will let others weigh in.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

I have setup guest wireless with a captive portal that just requires users to accept wireless T&C and they get on. Company employees will be allowed to get on with there personal mobile devices.

I obtained a wildcard cert from digicert, in other words *.companyname.com, which I have on the controller. Windows PC with using IE seem to like the cert fine but mobile devices still complain about it. One of the security engineers in my group thinks I need to get a host specific cert for the controller, but that requires paying a few hundred dollars to a CA. Does anybody know for sure this is the problem?

It could be a problem with certificate not present in the trusted CA of the mobile devices.
Occasional Contributor II

We too had issues with wildcard certs.

These are the notes I kept:

* don't work in the GUI

The controller only references one file, so you need to open each in wordpad, cut and paste them all together (no spaces) in the following order (main, intermediate, 2nd intermediate:) then use that.

*cert
CA cert
CA2 Cert
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: