ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Captive Portal - Max Authentication failures

Hi All,

A quick question:

If the "Max Authentication failures" option in the Captive Portal Authentication Profile is enabled, does it only stop that particular station which has exeeded the retries from re-authenticating or does it disable the User ID altogether from being used?

i.e. if you have a handful of users using one User ID, will it affect all the users/stations from authenticating or just the one that has exeeded the limit?

Kind Regards
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Captive Portal - Max Authentication failures

Hi All,

A quick question:

If the "Max Authentication failures" option in the Captive Portal Authentication Profile is enabled, does it only stop that particular station which has exeeded the retries from re-authenticating or does it disable the User ID altogether from being used?

i.e. if you have a handful of users using one User ID, will it affect all the users/stations from authenticating or just the one that has exeeded the limit?

Kind Regards

Hi Ozza,
As I understand it, clients are blacklisted by MAC address. Therefore the blacklist will apply to the particular workstation involved and not to the actual username.

I also use a couple of generic guest accounts and regularly see users locked out due to too many auth failures, but the login ID and password still work. It's the MAC Address that gets blacklisted.:)
New Contributor

Thanks tpelley.

I was hoping it would work that way and it makes sense; I think it's a good thing to have enabled to stop a potential hack, but I couldn't find it explained in any detail anywhere.

I suppose the only down side is the potential admin overhead if a legit user has to be removed from the blacklist, but this should hopefully be a small number of users if at all, if it is set to the maximum of 10.

Cheers
Occasional Contributor I

I would like to enable this feature but I cannot find the "Max Authentication" option in the Captive Portal Authentication Profile.

We are running the 5.0.0.1 build.
Guru Elite

Max Authentication Failure

It should say Max Authentication Failures and it requires the wireless intrusion protection license.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: