ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

Clients do not roam

I have been reading the forums looking for an answer to this but have been unsuccessful.

I have a problem where client laptops do not easily roam from AP to AP. The typical scenario is a teacher with a laptop moves from one classroom to another as classes change but the laptop does not roam to a more suitable AP.

All laptops are less than 1 year old and are configured with the same software image. The wireless drivers, while perhaps not the latest, are current. The Roaming aggressiveness on the client cards has been left at the default settings.

My controller is an M3 running OS 3.4.1.0. It is a Local that is attached to an Identical Master.
All of my APs are 125s and all are on the same VLAN. This VLAN is also used for the client stations.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make it more attractive to my clients to roam?

Thanks.
Contributor I

Re: Clients do not roam

I have been reading the forums looking for an answer to this but have been unsuccessful.

I have a problem where client laptops do not easily roam from AP to AP. The typical scenario is a teacher with a laptop moves from one classroom to another as classes change but the laptop does not roam to a more suitable AP.

All laptops are less than 1 year old and are configured with the same software image. The wireless drivers, while perhaps not the latest, are current. The Roaming aggressiveness on the client cards has been left at the default settings.

My controller is an M3 running OS 3.4.1.0. It is a Local that is attached to an Identical Master.
All of my APs are 125s and all are on the same VLAN. This VLAN is also used for the client stations.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make it more attractive to my clients to roam?

Thanks.

I'm sure someone else will provide a suitable response, but you may need to clarify.

A client will not disconnect from an ap without a very good reason. As long as the client is functioning it is "suitable".

What did you mean by "suitable".
Guru Elite

Lower Rates

One way to influence this is to remove the lower basic rates on the SSID profile and only use the higher ones. Normally, only rates, 1,2 are enabled. To sometimes promote better selection of APs, you can up those rates to 6 and 9. We also removed everything under 6 for the transmit rates. Check out the screenshot for an example:

Note that "basic" rates, or management frame rates, must be a subset of transmit rates. In the example, we only have 6 and 9 available, so that means only clients that can connect at 6 and 9 will be allowed to connect, which could influence clients to roam more reasonably. Depending on your client population, this could improve roaming, or make things very bad for clients that expect to see rates 1 and 2 there, so test extensively.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: