ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Computer names

Hello all!
I wonder if you can help me, I am trying to find out if it is possible to get the computer name of a client connected on a WL network on the Aruba Controller (logs or reports or anywhere).
The setup is this: users' laptops are connected to WL network and handed out IP addresses from the DHCP that is set-up on the Aruba controller. I used the wizard for most of these setups so nothing is extra weird or anything special.
What I want to know if it is possible to get the computer name and/or IP address of that computer. Does the controller have that sort of information and where it is stored, where can I check that out? In a perfect world, that would be a table that would be in this format:

Computer name:IP address:MAC:Time

Does the controller have that sort of table or is able to give that kind of information?

TIA!
Guru Elite

Re: Computer names

The controller does not do this, but Airwave has an option to do a reverse lookup on the DNS name and present the hostname.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Possible

Maybe the DHCP server would contain that information. By default a client posts the computer name in the DHCP log. If you are using the Aruba Controller as a DHCP server then you won't get that information. But if you utilize another DHCP server then that information should get posted under the lease information. But it doesn't hurt to try the command

show ip dhcp binding

on the aruba controller to see if it gives you the name of the client under the uid.

Cody
Guru Elite

Re: Computer names

If you use "nbtstat -a " it will tell you the user who is logged in along with the computer name: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/AdminTips/Accounts/Nbtstatrevealswhoisloggedon.html

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: