ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Confirming proper handling of QoS marked packets

Hello,

We have a 651 controller running v5.0.3.3 (with 5 or 6 AP-125s) support both wireless and wired clients. We have several Cisco VoIP phones and Tandberg video units at the site along with several PCs & printers. All the local devices are connected to a Cisco switch with a 1gig .1q trunk connected to the Aruba controller. The Aruba controller has multiple vlans (for different service) and it the default gateway for each vlan. There is a WAN router that connects this site to our MPLS network where we lease different classes of service from our provider. Basically, all traffic runs through the controller to reach the WAN connection back to corporate.

My question is about QoS and how do we ensure that the marked packets from the VoIP & video devices are being properly processed by the controller and that the markings are not being reset by the controller. I need to make sure the QoS markings are intact as they leave the controller to ensure the MPLS network can properly prioritize the traffic.

What commands are available on the controller to help show how the controller is processing the QoS marked traffic.

Thanks

Vinson
Guru Elite

Re: Confirming proper handling of QoS marked packets

Hello,

We have a 651 controller running v5.0.3.3 (with 5 or 6 AP-125s) support both wireless and wired clients. We have several Cisco VoIP phones and Tandberg video units at the site along with several PCs & printers. All the local devices are connected to a Cisco switch with a 1gig .1q trunk connected to the Aruba controller. The Aruba controller has multiple vlans (for different service) and it the default gateway for each vlan. There is a WAN router that connects this site to our MPLS network where we lease different classes of service from our provider. Basically, all traffic runs through the controller to reach the WAN connection back to corporate.

My question is about QoS and how do we ensure that the marked packets from the VoIP & video devices are being properly processed by the controller and that the markings are not being reset by the controller. I need to make sure the QoS markings are intact as they leave the controller to ensure the MPLS network can properly prioritize the traffic.

What commands are available on the controller to help show how the controller is processing the QoS marked traffic.

Thanks

Vinson

There is nothing frame-by-frame that will show the QOS markings transferred to the wired medium. The most definitive way is to span that Cisco port and do a packet capture.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

UGH... really?!?!?

Is the option available in any later version of the ArubaOS?

A little tough to defend the controller without the proper tools on board. Remote packet capture are not always an easy option.

Thanks for the info

Vinson
Guru Elite

What you should do is read the document here http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=192&d=1277808139 and do a remote packet capture on a tcp or udp port. You should then get the filter.pcap file and examine it to ensure that the QOS markings exist.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: