ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Controller Upgrade Process

We currently have a multi-controller environment. 1 Master and 2 locals. All running version 3.4.0.2 firmware. We'd like to upgrade to at least 5. What is the best process to go through this? Should I update the Master first, let that reboot and come up, then continue to 1 then 2? What is the average about of downtime? Thanks

PS: These are Aruba 3600 controllers by the way.
Aruba Employee

Re: Controller Upgrade Process

Salvatore,

The ugprade process is outlined in the release notes for the code. For 5.0.3.0 (recommended 5.x code), it is chapter 5. You can download the release notes from the same directory where you downloaded the 5.x code.

In short, upgrade the master first, then the locals (the local controller order is not important).

After you copy the code to the controller and reboot, the 3600 will take maybe 4-5 minutes to finalize the upgrade process. The local controllers will take the same amount of time to reboot after you push the code to them. If your 3600s are a redundant pair, upgrade the backup first. Once it is up and running after the upgrade, then start the upgrade on the primary. The APs will fail from the primary to the backup and start their upgrade process, which will minimize down time.
New Contributor

I am a similar situation but I have only two controllers; one master & one local. Can I upgrade one controller and let it run for a couple of days (to stabilize & make sure all policies are intact) before upgrading the second?
Guru Elite

You can do that, but you most likely cannot make changes to the configuration consistently without both controllers upgraded. If it is only two controllers, upgrade both, adhering to the flashbackup procedure and then downgrade if necessary.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

licensing

In the upgrade notes it mentions licensing upgrades. Make sure that you upgrade any licensing before the upgrades.
G
Guru Elite

The controller automatically upgrades the license WITH the upgrade...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: