ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Controller not pingable when new connection added

Hi guys,

Just took delivery of our Aruba 3400 controllers and getting them set up. Strange issue which i can't understand, was hoping someone may be able to shed some light.

We have two controllers, each with two ports configured, for guest and corporate.

this is how it looks:

Master Controller port 1/0 (192.168.1.x)--> guest network
Master-controller port 1/3 (10.x.x.x)--> corporate network

local-controller port 1/0 (192.168.1.x) --> guest network
local-controller port 1/3 (10.x.x.x) --> corporate network

When the local controller is plugged into the guest network, it can no longer be reached on it's corporate network IP address. Can anyone think why this would be? as it still responds on it's 192.168.1.x address. If the corporate connection is removed from the master controller, the local controller responds again on it's corporate IP.

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Controller not pingable when new connection added

I have found that by switching off spanning-tree on all active ports, everything continues to work as it should.

I am about to go a refresh myself on spanning-tree, but if anyone knows the answer as to why it was causing this to happen, please do share!

Many thanks
Daniel
Guru Elite

Aruba controllers, up to ArubaOS 5.0 do not support per vlan spanning tree, so that if you are going to connect a controller to more than one physical port on a Cisco switch, it looks like the same instance and shuts the port down. Disabling spanning tree, like you did, deals with that.

Starting with ArubaOS 6.0, PVST+ is supported.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for the reply cjoseph.

Thing is, the guest network ports are being connected to the same unmanaged netgear switch which has the internet connection. (these interfaces don't stop working)

The corporate connections are going to the same nortel switch, and "show spanning-tree" shows both corporate interfaces still being in forwarding state.

I have tested, and i can leave spanning-tree enabled on both corporate ports, but have to diable it on at least one of the guest network ports to have all IP's continue to work.

Why is it the guest connection where spanning tree needs to be off, yet it's the corporate network port which no longer responds?

Thanks again
Daniel
Guru Elite

Without knowing your infrastructure completely, you will have to take a look at your switch to see what port is disabled and by WHOM. If you type "show port status" on the Aruba side, it will tell you if the port is disabled by Aruba. You should be able to do the same thing on your switch side to see who disables what.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks cjoseph. you have got me to the right place!

So, when i have spanning tree enabled on the guest network (which has no connectivity directly into the corporate network) i lose connectivity to the local controller because the CORPORATE Nortel switch puts this port into "alternate" role and "discarding".

Is this the behaviour you would expect? Why is the guest network port config having an affect on what the Nortel switch is seeing?

Thanks
Daniel
Guru Elite

If it is on the same switch, the Aruba controller sends/floods the same bpdus and thinks it is on the same VLAN as the corporate network and blocks it.

Colin Joseph

The guest network is connected to a separate physical switch (unmanaged netgear) than the corporate connections (they are connected to the Nortel).

I'm going to connect the guest network to a managed switch tomorrow, see if i see any difference.

If you have any more ideas please share! Thanks

Daniel
Guru Elite

Can you post a physical connection diagram so that I can explain my way out of this?

Colin Joseph

Can you post a physical connection diagram so that I can explain my way out of this?

Thanks! Just bashed it together, hope it makes sense!

Daniel
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: