ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Custom Logs on ArubaOS

I am able to see the option for custom logs under the monitor portion of the web interface but have been unable to locate documentation on the process of creating custom logs. Anyone have information on how to do this?

Basically I have created a special user role for clients that connect to a specific ESSID and I want to have a special log that contains the mac and time stamp of each use of those policies. I can see that it keeps track of how many times they are used but I would like for a special log of that.

Anyone able to point me in the direction I want to go? Or is this another instance of "you need this license" or "you need this piece of equipment" to do that?

Thanks,
Bret McHone
Aruba Employee

Re: Custom Logs on ArubaOS

Hi Bret,

There isn't a way to modify the monitor page, but you can create a custom report that should allow you to get the info you're looking for. Go to the reporting tab, and at the bottom of the screen click on custom client report. Remember that you're going to be limited to the amount of memory the controller has, which in a busy network can cause the reporting data to roll over very quickly.

If you have long term needs for reporting you would probably want to use Aruba's AirWave management platform. AirWave gives you additional benefits in client monitoring and troubleshooting which you might want to take advantage of depending on your needs in this situation. Your other option is to install a syslog server and write the appropriate scripts to generate the report on the server.

thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

Custom Logs on ArubaOS

And we have a promotion going on right now for Airwave 50, 100, and 200
device support.

Gary
Occasional Contributor II

Well the first way you can look for your data is to use the aruba cli:

The controller doesn't have much memory though so you might get data for an hour or a week depending on your environment.

I would set up a logging server and send all the Aruba logs to it.

#config t
(config) #logging A.B.C.D
(config) #exit

Now you will have long term data coming from the controller and you can use any number of tools to get data from the logs. One quick way (on a *nix machine) is to use grep:

It is possible to set the logging facility on Aruba and likewise on your syslog server so that all the wireless logs go to specific areas rather than just the system log. We have several syslog servers that store all the full time data and I use an ubuntu box for troubleshooting from one controller as needed.

Occasional Contributor II

And we have a promotion going on right now for Airwave 50, 100, and 200
device support.

Gary

Shameless plug Gary :)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: