Occasional Contributor II

DHCP Opt. 43

Hi,

Does anybody know if it's possible for the Aruba APs to accept two IP addresses in the DHCP opt 43 parameter?

I know there's other ways of doing resilience and stuff, just need a basic yes/no on this one. What I'm trying to do, is get the APs to try contacting two controllers in turn upon bootup based on this information. Cisco LWAPP APs can do this, not sure about Aruba ones.

If it's possible, how is this done? Is there a delimiting character between the addresses? Like a ";" or ":"?

J.
Guru Elite

More than one parameter in DHCP Option 43

Hi,

Does anybody know if it's possible for the Aruba APs to accept two IP addresses in the DHCP opt 43 parameter?

I know there's other ways of doing resilience and stuff, just need a basic yes/no on this one. What I'm trying to do, is get the APs to try contacting two controllers in turn upon bootup based on this information. Cisco LWAPP APs can do this, not sure about Aruba ones.

If it's possible, how is this done? Is there a delimiting character between the addresses? Like a ";" or ":"?

J.

Jake,

You can do this with DNS (entering more than one A-record for "aruba-master", Multicast (enable multicast forwarding for 239.0.82.11) where any Aruba Controller can answer, but the AP-group setting can re-route the AP to the correct controller. This can be combined with VRRP for additional levels of redundancy.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: DHCP Opt. 43

Jake,

You can do this with DNS (entering more than one A-record for "aruba-master", Multicast (enable multicast forwarding for 239.0.82.11) where any Aruba Controller can answer, but the AP-group setting can re-route the AP to the correct controller. This can be combined with VRRP for additional levels of redundancy.

That's good stuff, but can it also be done with the DHCP opt 43, or will the APs only accept one address in that variable?
Guru Elite

DHCP Option 43

It will only accept one address.

Please contact your Aruba sales representative if you want to make a request for this to accept more than one variable.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: