ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

Device fingerprinting

Hi,

I am very much interested in understanding how Aruba's Device Fingerprinting functionality actually works. Is a device identified by MAC, OUI, something else ?

Would be very much interested in an in-depth technical explanation if there's a doc available anywhere.

Thanks
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Device fingerprinting

Hello,

It simply works by parsing http header user-agents of the device which will be identified..

More information will be avaliable in the upcoming docs..
Aruba

Device fingerprinting

...and/or by looking at DHCP transactions and signatures there-in to
make an identification.
New Contributor

Any link to this documentation? and if it is using dhcp fingerprinting, any added info on if they are doing their own database or using packetfence or satori's?
Guru Elite

Documentation will be provided when the code is released.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Device Identification ( Fingerprinting )

So I have reviewed the 6.1 documentation to understand how this feature 'Device Identification ( Fingerprinting )' works.

The documentation , as I read it, is very 'light'.

I understand that there is a new knob in the AAA Profile to get the controller to perform Device Identification.

However, I can not find any documentation to say how you can control what is done with this information. Specifcally,

1) How do you define that a device type is Non Corporate/Personal, and thus should have its role changed?

2) How can you define the role a device , that has identified as Non Corporate/Personal, would be moved to?

3) What mechanism/s are available to change the role of a Non Corporate/Personal device? RADIUS? User Derivation rule? Server Derivation Rule? XML API?

Would someone please point me to the documentation if it exists, or otherwise please fill in the gaps.

Device Fingerprinting = DHCP Fingerprinting

So after some further investigation, it appears the feature 'Device Fingerprinting' or 'Device Identification' , utilises a user derivation rule of type dhcp-option to identify the client type and assign the role.

Elsewhere in this forum this feature is also referred to as DHCP Fingerprinting.

This post gives all the details of how to configure it:

COTD: DHCP Fingerprinting how-to (ArubaOS 6.0.1.0 and above)

Apparently, the 'Device Type Classification' option on the AAA profile merely advises the administrator of the OS of the device based upon the User Agent in the browser. Currently there is no way to act on this information via configuration.
Guru Elite

Correct.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

DHCP Fingerprinting how-to Link

Here is the link to the article COTD: DHCP Fingerprinting how-to (ArubaOS 6.0.1.0 and above):

http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=3469&highlight=DHCP+Fingerprinting
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: