ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

Devices getting IPs associated to a different vlan?

Got a bit of a strange one here..

We have various wifi networks setup, and my device is connected to Network_A, which has vlans 100 & 105 associated to it, each of which has its own lease pool (external server). However, the device seems to be picking up an address from Network_C which has vlan 101 associated with it.

Ive checked the config of the Network_A VAP which has both vlans 100 and 105 in, so I dont know how or why my device is picking up an address from a network it isnt even connected to....

Ive checked the router and dhcp server configs which all seem fine too..

How does the controller load balance between the 2 vlans associated to the network, and why is my device getting an address from a different networks lease pool???

Any ideas???

Thanks
Aruba Employee

Re: Devices getting IPs associated to a different vlan?

The controller will place clients in the VLANs associated to a VAP by hashing the MAC address of the client, dividing by the number of VLANs in the pool and using the remainder to pick a VLAN. The idea is that the same client will always get the same VLAN.

Another way that VLANs are assigned is by using server derivation rules in the AAA server group. Check and make sure you are don't have SDRs that put your client in VLAN 101.
Occasional Contributor I

Could you point me in the right direction as to where I may find this info?? Ive inherited this system after someone left, and Im still trying to familiarise myself with its vonfig, other than deploying AP's!

Thanks
Aruba Employee

Check under "Server Rules" for something that sets the VLAN.
Occasional Contributor I

Had been looking in the right place!, but the only rule I can find associated to a server is for a role, nothing for setting the vlan...
Aruba Employee

Ok, click on Configuration > Access Control > . Is there a VLAN selected under Role VLAN ID?
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: