ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor II

EtherChannel between Aruba and Cisco switch

We recently tried to EtherChannel our Cisco IOS 3750 with the Aruba 6000 running 3.1.1.4 and we couldn't get the channel-group to connect.
I searched the forum and the documentation but I didn't find anything pertaining to our setup, so I figured I'd share what we ended up finding out.
The Aruba side was straight forward and was documented:
interface gigabitethernet 2/0
description "gig2/0"
trusted
speed 1000
duplex full
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface gigabitethernet 2/1
description "gig2/1"
trusted
speed 1000
duplex full
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface port-channel 4
add gigabitethernet 2/0
add gigabitethernet 2/1
trusted
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-4094
!
On the Cisco side we now have:
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/8
description To-Aruba
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 4 mode on
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/9
description To-Aruba
switchport trunk allowed vlan
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 4 mode on
!
The key is the channel-group mode. This did not work when set to active, auto, passive, or desirable.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: EtherChannel between Aruba and Cisco switch

The first thing I would do is turn off spanning tree on the Aruba ports, apart from that your config looks ok. Make sure you disable spanning-tree on the physical ports as well as the port channel.

Is the Cisco port-channel working OK - remember the configs of the Cisco ports have to match exactly or else the channel probably won't come up.

Can you give us some 'show interface' results as well - of the ports and channels on both devices.

Andrew
don
Contributor I

Be very careful with spanning-tree if you try this. Running with "mode on" means you don't have LACP or PAGP to protect you if there is a loop and you'll croak those boxes. I would try this in a lab or non-production setting first before putting it on your network.
Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

I've been trying to get an Etherchannel working between our 3600 controller (3.4.0.4) and a Cisco 3750 stack.

The config on the Aruba side is as follows:

interface gigabitethernet 1/0
description "GE1/0"
trusted
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-2
no spanning-tree
!

interface gigabitethernet 1/1
description "GE1/1"
trusted
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-2
no spanning-tree
!

interface port-channel 0
add gigabitethernet 1/0
add gigabitethernet 1/1
trusted
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-4094
no spanning-tree

And on the 3750:

interface Port-channel10
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2
switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/33
description Link to Aruba 3600
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 10 mode on
!
interface GigabitEthernet4/0/33
description Link to Aruba 3600
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 10 mode on

But as soon as the second link is plugged in, that port on the cisco switch just keeps shutting itself down, and bringing itself back up. It is a cross-stack etherchannel (you may have noticed..). Can anyone help get it configured so that it will work? I have tried it with the "Speed 1000" and "Duplex Full", but then the links don't come up at all...

Many thanks,

Dan.
Guru Elite

Errors

Any errors in the log on the Cisco side?
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Occasional Contributor I

Ah - no worries. Once I added "switchport nonegotiate" on the Cisco side - it all worked!
Contributor II

Cisco Notes - also lock speed/duplex

I just had a similar issue, make sure that on certain blades (like the Cisco WS-6724 SFP blade, that you also add "speed nonegotiate" to the physical ports on the Cisco side. (I then locked the aruba side "speed 1000" "duplex full") which brought the links up.

Seems on some "Gig only" ports on a Cisco box (like SFP modules) that the speed negotiation makes bringing the ports up very unpredictable. Locking this alleviates the problem.

Enjoy.

BC :)
Frequent Contributor I

Cool!
Regular Contributor I

[ Edited ]

Glad I stumbled across this post even if archived!!.. fixed my issue!

don wrote:
Be very careful with spanning-tree if you try this. Running with "mode on" means you don't have LACP or PAGP to protect you if there is a loop and you'll croak those boxes. I would try this in a lab or non-production setting first before putting it on your network.

Like OP mentioned above, I too couldnt get the port channel working until I set to "mode on", sort of implying that aruba doesnt natively support PagP.  As soon as I changed this, everything started working.

Aruba Employee

Correct, Aruba does not support PAGP, it's Cisco proprietary.  When you use the mode of "on" on the Cisco side, port agg protocols are disabled (PAGP and LACP).  All you're using at that point is a static channel, which is what your configuration is reflecting.  If you want to use a dynamic port agg protocol with Aruba and Cisco, you'll need to use LACP since both vendors support it and it's standards-based.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: