ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

Factory reset just for a code upgrade?

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my 6000 controllers from 3.3.2.15 to 3.4.2.7.

Looking at the the 3.4.2 upgrade guide under the heading "upgrading from 3.3.x and Earlier Release" the third step says "reset controller to factory-default mode"...

Is this really a requirement? Has anyone else upgraded code without factory reset? This will be my first upgrade on an Aruba controller, is factory restting before pushing new code common?
Guru Elite

Just upgrade

You should be able to upgrade it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Factory reset just for a code upgrade?

Ditto to cjoseph. I saw that warning when I upgraded and my jaw dropped. Just go through the upgrade, the OS will translate your config to 3.4 syntax just fine.

The usual caveats apply, backup, export, etc.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Aruba Employee

Upgrade Procedure

Beginning with ArubaOS 5.0, we deprecated the “Upgrade Guide” and replaced it with an Upgrade Chapter in the Release Notes. All procedures in the Upgrade Chapter were tested – both upgrade and downgrade.

The Upgrade Chapter covers every upgrade scenario (including RN releases) from version 2.5 including Best Practices. Even though the chapter discusses upgrading to “5.0”, the upgrade procedures stand on their own regardless of which version you’re upgrading to.

Short answer is one “reboots” the controller but certainly does not reset to factory defaults. Attached is the Chapter from the 5.0 Release Notes.
Frequent Contributor I

I also noticed the new documentation says to upgrade all at once or disconnect the link between the Master and locals before upgrading. I have done upgrades in the past and never heard of this. Aruba support did not mention this step as well. Does anyone know why this has been added to the upgrade guide and what the risks are?
Guru Elite

The key portion being "Verify that all of your controllers are running the same software version in a master-local relationship.". If your controllers in that relationship are not running the same version of code, they should not be talking to each other.

By the way, I personally do not recommending upgrading selective controllers in a master/local scenario, because you lose the ability to change the config on the locals that are not upgraded. There has to be a very good reason NOT to upgrade all of your controllers in that scenario.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

I agree I would not run them on different code versions. I mean just during the upgrade process when no configuration changes are happening.
Aruba Employee

This assumes that there are no config changes as part of the upgrade itself. This isn't always a safe bet, which is why the best practice is to upgrade all at once or sever the communications between master/locals until they are all upgraded.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: