ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Firmware upgrade suggestion

Hi, we currently have 3600's with 3.3.2.23. Would be the best path for a firmware upgrade?

thx jason
Guru Elite

Why upgrade?

The question is, why are you upgrading? That will determine where you go from there.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Re. Firmware upgrade suggestion

why? better performance? Possibly fixed software bugs.

jason
Guru Elite

Reasons to upgrade

Reasons to upgrade are:

- Support for Hardware you WANT to use
- Support for features you WANT to use
- Fixes for bugs you are currently experiencing

If the above does not fit your scenario, do not upgrade.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Firmware upgrade suggestion

I agree with the above. I have upgraded customer to 3.4 to activate features and it has been a bit painful each time due to licensing differences starting in 3.3.2. Since you are already on 3.3.2 the only reason to upgrade right now would be to fix bugs you are having issues with. Now, 3.4 does activate the Voice Services Module if you already have PEF installed but other than that I would not upgrade until you are ready to go to 5.0 or higher.
Aruba Employee

There are some really good reasons to upgrade to 3.3.3 or 3.4, and that's hardware support. We've saved a good chunk of change with the ability to deploy AP-105s over AP-125s and a 600 series controller here and there.
Aruba Employee

Personally, I love 3.4. I'd go to 3.4.2.6 if I were you. But Colin's reasons are right....
Occasional Contributor II

Recommendation for a system looking to add 600 series

Interesting. We are looking to upgrade a 3.3.2.11 system to add hardware: 105's and 600's series controllers (starting with a 650). Would the latest 3.4 be preferable to a 5.0 load if we were not looking to use features introduced in 5.0?

BTW, what is the best place on Aruba's website or support site to determine ArubaOS requirements for a piece of Aruba hardware? I am finding that to be somewhat of a challenge. E.g., I wonder what the minimum ArubaOS requirements are for the RAP's, the 2WG, the 5 and the 5WN.

Thanks!
Occasional Contributor II

PEF license conversion on upgrade to ArubaOS 5

Another question, if we do go from 3.3.2.11 to a 5.0.x image:

How are PEF licenses converted to PEFNG licenses? That is, how are the users on the PEF license converted to AP's in the PEFNG license?
Guru Elite

That is a good question

Interesting. We are looking to upgrade a 3.3.2.11 system to add hardware: 105's and 600's series controllers (starting with a 650). Would the latest 3.4 be preferable to a 5.0 load if we were not looking to use features introduced in 5.0?

BTW, what is the best place on Aruba's website or support site to determine ArubaOS requirements for a piece of Aruba hardware? I am finding that to be somewhat of a challenge. E.g., I wonder what the minimum ArubaOS requirements are for the RAP's, the 2WG, the 5 and the 5WN.

Thanks!

That is a good question the short answer is ArubaOS 5.0 supports everything. The longer answer is that the release notes of 5.0 and 3.4 say what is supported in the "what's new" portion.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: