ArubaOS and Controllers

eip
Occasional Contributor II

Geolocation

Hello,

I wondering if anyone could provide me with more information about geolocationing. I know in the configs you can enter all the latitude and longitude information about an AP. Does this information get transmitted to clients devices?

The reason I asked is we would like to develop an app that will use Wifi to detemine a client's location and then direct them to an location on campus they wish to go.

Re: Geolocation

In general the lat/long information is pushed upstream from the AP to the controller/management system for troubleshooting and maintenance. It is not pushed down to the client device.

I would recommend taking a look at AirWave and VisualRF. They have open XML APIs that can provide user location. It has an XML API that will give you the x,y coordinates of a user on a specific floorplan as well as tell you the AP a user is associated with and the floorplan that AP is placed on.

Depending on your exact use case either one of those should get you the information you are looking for. My guess is that the AP to floorplan information will work best to give you the rough idea of where a user is on a campus so you can then give them the best directions.

Details about the XML APIs can be found on the Home-->Documentation page of the AirWave server. There you will also find a sample html program that can be used to locate users on a map.
eip
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Geolocation

Thank you for the insight. We have Airwave and from my chat with Aruba and AirWave techs, it looks like that is the path we are going to take.

It is going to be a good app once we bulid an app that uses the location of the APs, and location of client to build an indoor navigational tool for our students to navigate our campus via mobile devices.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: