ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

Going from ARM in 3.1 to Spectrum LB in 3.4

Hi guys, I am preping up for an upgrade next week from the 3.1 code to 3.4.0.3. One thing I noticed on our test A200 switch running 3.4.0.2 is that the high and low watermarks for AP clients and bandwidth have gone. I believe the Spectrum Load Balancing has replaced it, right? I have read the tech notes and it seems inteligent and that it pushes clients onto the best band and AP without specing the numbers yourself, right? Also, it can switch of APs not being used and turn them into monitors to reduce clutter in the air.

Did I get that right?

My next Q is if we don't activate Spectrum, does it not load balance at all? Would it be like having the old load balancing system switched off?

My other Q is related to the band steering, does this overwrite the band specified in the AP System profile? We use AP61s so maybe this is irrelevant! The AP61s are all remotes in schools with 150% coverage.

Thanks all, just trying to get my head round what needs tweaking, or leaving! :D

James
Guru Elite

ARM Supplement

James,

On the support site, in the ArubaOS Documentation Tab, under ArubaOS 3.3.2, there is an ARM release supplement document that answers all of your questions in detail.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Going from ARM in 3.1 to Spectrum LB in 3.4

Yep, got it, just looking at it now. Thanks.
Aruba Employee

Hi James,

That supplement is specific to ArubaOS 3.3.2. It was updated for ArubaOS 3.4 and added to the User Guide as a chapter, so go grab the User Guide with the updated version.

rich

Spectrum load balancing is much more useful than the old watermark-based system. Basically you turn it on, and it does its job - not much to tweak.

Are you running AP61s all on the same band, or a mixture with some on 802.11a and some on 802.11b/g? If you have them mixed, then band steering could work in your environment. If they are all on the same band, you wouldn't get any benefit. Try turning it on to see what you get.
---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy
Aruba Employee

Ok, so now I'm confused. I didn't see where the ARM supplement really discussed classical ap load-balancing vs. spectrum load-balancing, maybe I missed it. I'm running 3.3.2.16 and actually have both turned on. Can we just get a recommendation?

Should I keep both on or turn ap load-balancing off and just have spectrum load-balancing on?

Check the 3.4 user's guide - the information probably wasn't in the 3.3.2 supplement because the feature didn't exist in 3.3.2. I am not sure how you have both turned on in 3.3.2 because I didn't think the feature was added until 3.4. Stranger things have happened though..

You don't actually have a choice. The classical load balancing feature no longer exists in 3.4 - it was completely replaced with the spectrum load balancing feature. So the answer is, we recommend spectrum load balancing unequivocably. :) Most people who had the AP load balancing feature turned on never had it actually do anything, because they also had local probe-response enabled (the default). The previous AP load balancing feature required centralized probe-response to work.
---
Jon Green, ACMX, CISSP
Security Guy
Aruba Employee

Well, er, they are both in 3.3.2.16. AP Load Balancing in the RF Optimization Profile (my local probe response is off in my SSID profiles) and there is the option for Spectrum Load Balancing in my 802.11a and g radio profiles.

So based on that, you recommend I turn off AP Load balancing in my RF Optimization Profile and turn back on the local probes and let SLB do its thing?

*Update* Just checked the 3.3.2.18 release notes. SLB was put in at 3.3.2.12.
MVP

All of the 'AP Load Balancing' knobs in the RF Optimization profile are gone in 3.4.x
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Aruba Employee

I noticed that on my lab controllers, but both 'AP Load Balancing' and 'Spectrum Load Balancing' is available in 3.3.2.x (x >= 12).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: