Occasional Contributor I

Guest SSID

Hi all,

I have a set of Aruba 6000 controller with 2 port SX line card each. This set is acting as Master and Master backup. It is connected via MPLS (point 2 point) to 2 remote sites, where I have a set of local and backup local in each site. I want to make three SSIDs (Data, Voice and Guest)
The Guest SSID will be serving internet only from ADSL internet modem located in the Master location. The ADSL modem is connected to a switch which has a VLAN, and this VLAN will be trunked to the Master controller.

My question is:

Can I extend the guest SSID to the users in the local controllers, such that they get internet form the ASDL modem which is connected to the Master? and how to do that in the controller?

Thanks,
Guru Elite

Guest Tunneling

Hi all,

I have a set of Aruba 6000 controller with 2 port SX line card each. This set is acting as Master and Master backup. It is connected via MPLS (point 2 point) to 2 remote sites, where I have a set of local and backup local in each site. I want to make three SSIDs (Data, Voice and Guest)
The Guest SSID will be serving internet only from ADSL internet modem located in the Master location. The ADSL modem is connected to a switch which has a VLAN, and this VLAN will be trunked to the Master controller.

My question is:

Can I extend the guest SSID to the users in the local controllers, such that they get internet form the ASDL modem which is connected to the Master? and how to do that in the controller?

Thanks,

This is a fairly common pratice. Please look at the thread here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1485

At a high level, you create a non-routable VLAN on each controller that you want to serve guest access; let's say, VLAN 999. On each controller, you would create a VLAN 999 and give it an IP address on that VLAN in the range that is being handed out by the ADSL modem. On the master controller that is physically nearest to the ADSL modem you would create the same VLAN, but also assign it to a physical port that is connected to the ADSL modem. Create GRE tunnels from each remote controller to the master and add VLAN 999 to that tunnel. On the master controller, you would create a Virtual AP for guests that puts guests on VLAN 999. The guest should get IP addresses from the ADSL modem as the traffic is tunneled from the remote controllers to the master controller and then physically placed on the port with the ADSL modem.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Guest SSID

Thank you Joseph,

In the Master I have only two SX interfaces one will be on access mode to the management VLAN of the customer’s Core and the second will be on trunk mode, where all the wireless users VLANs are trunked from the customer Core to Aruba Controller. That means even the Guest VLAN lets say VLAN 999 which is coming form the ADSL modem will be trunked to the controller.

As per your recommendations I should assign a physical port to the VLAN 999, I can only trunk it to the SX port in the controller along with the other VLANs I am trunking,

Do you think this still work?

Thanks in advance,
Guru Elite

In that case....

Thank you Joseph,

In the Master I have only two SX interfaces one will be on access mode to the management VLAN of the customer’s Core and the second will be on trunk mode, where all the wireless users VLANs are trunked from the customer Core to Aruba Controller. That means even the Guest VLAN lets say VLAN 999 which is coming form the ADSL modem will be trunked to the controller.

As per your recommendations I should assign a physical port to the VLAN 999, I can only trunk it to the SX port in the controller along with the other VLANs I am trunking,

Do you think this still work?

Thanks in advance,

Yes, you should trunk it to the SX port on the controller and on the switch that the master is connected to, break out VLAN 999 as a single physical port. Make sure that the ADSL modem is plugged into the physical port.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks

Thank you Joseph,

I will follow your recommendation to configure it,
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: