ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Hiding particular ssid from certain clients

Was wondering if it is possible to hide an ssid from certain clients. I have AP's broadcasting 3 seperate ssids, but need to block the client devices (laptops on carts) from seeing our "guestnet". Is this something that can be done without hiding "guestnet" from other devices in the same range that need to see it?

If so, what would be the best way to accomplish this?

Controller is running 3.3.3.4 and AP's are 65's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Guru Elite

Hiding SSID

You cannot hide the SSID from particular clients. Even if you could, it would be inconvenient to manage on a per-client basis. Please see the thread here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=785 for ideas on how to keep devices off the guest network.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Re: Hiding particular ssid from certain clients

Thanks for the input. How about locking down these devices so they can only connect to the proper ssid? I'd like for guestnet to not even be an option in the Xp client (Windows managed) window.
Guru Elite

Group Policy

You can certainly do this with group policy for Active Directory Managed computers.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Our server admin has attempted this but is not able to "hide" guestnet. The laptops are running XP.
Guru Elite

Hiding SSID

Not hiding through group policy.... You can make it so that only administrators can add and remove wireless networks through group policy.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

That is part of the issue. The users of the laptops need to be power users for another reason, so they can flip from one ssid to another. We are looking into the rights issue as a possible resolution, but I would like "out of sight-out of mind" for guestnet.
Guru Elite

Setup wireless Group policy for Guest

You should then setup a wireless network group policy that matches the name of your guest network and set the encryption to "wep" so that the users cannot connect to it.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Tricky. I like it...
Occasional Contributor I

We have only been able to hide/deny certain SSID's in Windows 7 via Group Policy. I think you are able to do it in VISTA as well.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: