ArubaOS and Controllers

MVP

How are YOU grouping?

I wanted to see if everyone would share how they are grouping their APs. AOS offers a plethora of options/knobs, and any enabling/disabling of these features from one AP to another generally requires a separate profile and, in turn, a separate group or specific ap-name config.

Given the variety of environments, how are you going about grouping your APs such that you meet your needs for enabling features while also maintaining some semblance of logic and order so that your groups are manageable and don't get exponentially out of hand?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Frequent Contributor I

Re: How are YOU grouping?

I have them divided into:
- Dorms
- Graduate Apartments
- Greek Houses
- And Classroom buildings

Within classrooms buildings, we have some buildings that have more AP density than others, so I have them divided into 3 groups (high, medium, and low density).

I thought and changed this several times, but this seems to be working for now...
Marcelo Lew
Wireless Network Architect-Engineer
University of Denver
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ryan, I had the same frustration. We had a mix of AP specific settings groups according to location and other groups that referred to function of the SSID. We found that there is no easy way to do it. We ended up grouping according to Controller that the AP's in the group point to and the SSID's they get when they are in that group. Example:

MC1.GuestCP-EmployeeCP
LC2.GuestCP-EmployeeCP
LC3.GuestCP-EmployeeCP
LC3.GuestCP-EmployeeCP-CompanyNetwork

We found that creating the new groups was not that difficult if you look at the config in the console and not the web interface. On the console you put in 3-4 lines and you have the new group ready to go. In the Web GUI it's a lot of steps and going back and forth.

Hope this helps.
MVP

Thanks for sharing. We have historically grouped by controller then function then anything else that deviates the norm. However, I'm now building config for our high-density locations. The Aruba Design Guide recommends a separate group for every HD WLAN. However, in one building alone, I have 5-20 HD areas; we have 300+ buildings. So, you can see the hesitation towards one-group-per-HD-area. :-/

I've historically been a believer in reusing profiles as much as possible, so it (as always) requires a lot of forethought.

I've also said that WLAN administration (at least with Aruba) requires just as much "art" as it does "science".
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Occasional Contributor II

When we have a deviation from our standard config, it's usually on a per-building basis. Thus, our grouping convention is:

{LMS}-{BLDG}-{AP TYPE}

For standard installations, we use a building of "DEFAULT", so an AP on controller "N233-LMS" would be in group "N233-LMS-DEFAULT-AP". If we have a special-needs building (say "N213"), the group becomes "N233-LMS-N213-AP".
Frequent Contributor I

"I've also said that WLAN administration (at least with Aruba) requires just as much "art" as it does "science". "

Agree 100%
Marcelo Lew
Wireless Network Architect-Engineer
University of Denver
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: