Aruba Employee

IGMP Proxy

I'm deploying some new controllers for a RAP rollout and wanted to get some advice on using IGMP proxy. Each controller has two GigE connections to the inside of their respective LAN and they are connected to separate LAN switches.

Problem is, I can only specify one interface or port-channel as the IGMP proxy interface in the controller's vlan configuration. What the heck do you do in this case? If I pick the primary interface and it goes down, I lose multicast.

Am I just stuck with IGMP snooping in this type of configuration if I don't want to manually intervene and reconfigure the IGMP proxy config on the VLAN interface?
Guru Elite

Re: IGMP Proxy

Please state in detail, including applications you are trying to support using RAP. We need to understand what you are trying to do.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

We make our live Corporate town meetings available to our remote offices via multicast. We're about to being deploying RAPs at our small, remote offices and I'll need to ensure the employees at those sites can receive those multicast streams.

My RAP controller will have two LACP channels to the inside of the network, one on one internal switch, one on the other.
Guru Elite

Are you already doing this successfully on a non-redundant RAP controller at this time?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Yes, works fine on my pilot controller that only has one inside interface.
Aruba Employee

I guess what I'm asking is, what is the recommended practice for using IGMP proxy when there are two interfaces to the inside of the network?
Guru Elite

You simply cannot do it, across two interfaces. You must choose one.

Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

Ok, my options are IGMP snooping or pick the currently active interface and use proxy. Losing multicast isn't the worst thing if I lose the interface that proxy is running on. We're not doing on-demand videos or anything like that anyway.

I'll also file an RFE to allow for a secondary IGMP interface in AOS.