ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Implications of enabling 802.11k

Hi,

We have a student doing some research into 'smart WLANs' and has asked about the possibility of having 802.11k enabled across our wireless system (4 controllers, 300APs).

I haven't come across 802.11k until just now so don't know anything about it other than it seem to assist clients in selecting which AP to associate with. I see that there is an 802.11k profile which can be enabled. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on the impact of enabling this and if it could negatively impact any of the other users?

The note I have from the student states:
We are interested in the
802.11k request/report measurements. They are:

- Beacon
- Frame
- Channel Load
- Noise Histogram
- STA Statistics
- Location Configuration Information (LCI)
- Neighbor Report
- Link Measurement
- Transmit Stream/Category Measurement

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

Re: Implications of enabling 802.11k

Some clients that do not support 802.11k do not like to see 802.11k in the beacon and don't respond well. It is a big risk in an environment when you do not control the client population.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for the (extremely) quick reply. Any chance you have any documentation or web links with anything about this?

If I'm going to have to provide a negative reply to a user's request I'd like some form of evidence to back it up with?

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

That is just what we have seen from our customers. Nothing documented online. Obviously as more clients implement this, the manufacturers will get it right.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

OK thanks.

As the 802.11k profile is set in a virtual-ap, if I was to duplicate our current VAPs but include the 11k profile I could apply this profile to just a select number of APs where the research is going on which might only cause client issues in that region.

Would clients roaming between the same SSID profile in a different VAP have any impact compared to roaming between the same VAP (assuming the 11k doesn't cause problems)?

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

I personally do not know. Please experiment and tell us your findings. FYI- The device we had issues with is the Ipad with IOS version lower than 4.3. Any ipad with IOS 4.3 and above seems to work fine.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: