ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Intermittent "Web authentication is disabled" message

Have been running Captive Portal fine for several years, close to 1,000 users. We have seen this message pop up a few times (less than 10) after users were authenticated and connected to the network, it would just appear in some cases after hours of web browsing. The controller was operational and I was able to connect via the GUI and SSH when users were getting that message.

After the controller was rebooted, all worked fine. In some cases, it would work fine for 5-10 minutes, in some others, it would last a few hours, and most of the times, after the reboot, everything worked fine for several months. The controller is an OAW-4604 firmware AOS-W 3.4.2.5. The previous firmware was doing the same thing (I will be upgrading the firmware soon).

Any ideas?

Thanks
New Contributor

Re: Intermittent "Web authentication is disabled" message

We're having the same issue in our enterprise.
Aruba Employee

When this happens, what's the role of the user ? Is he supposed to be in that role ? And obvisouly is there a CP profile tied to this role ?

Thanks for your answers
S.
Occasional Contributor II

Did you find a solution?

We're experiencing the same issue since upgrading our 3400/3600 controllers from version 5.0.1.0 to 6.0.1.2.
Guru Elite

Please open a support case so that this can be replicated and troubleshot. A temporary workaround would be to find out what role the user ends up in (probably logon) and change that role's Captive Portal authentication profile to the one you use for your real network.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Our users get that message even though they are authenticated. This is also the role (authenticated) they get when they logon successfully btw. Only after manually disconnecting the user (reverting them back to guest-logon role) are they able to authenticate again via Captive Portal. Support case openend.
Aruba Employee

There was a bug with captive portal users when a user was connected to AP1, disabled wireless (or slept/hibernated/suspended), then moved to another AP and reconnected within the idle timeout (5 minutes by default). The controller would still have a record of that user's MAC address, but would apply an incorrect ACL to the user causing the "Web Authentication Disabled" message. If you deleted the user or waited for the idle timeout before reconnecting, everything would be OK. This was fixed in the latest code trains.

I'm not 100% sure that is the issue you are facing, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade and see if it is resolved.
Contributor I

Is this issue fixed in 6.0.1.3 or do I need a newer release? We are intermittently experiencing the above described issue as well.
Guru Elite

Please open a case, because there are several reasons why this could happen. Support needs to know your configuration, to ensure that your config and code level is the one recommended to take care of this issue for you specifically.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

I heard from Aruba this issue fixed in 6.1.2.3. I still waiting.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: