ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Interpreting mobility controller monitoring data

We have 2 controllers with 46 AP's in a mixed environment. We are running ArubaOS 6.1.1.0 and when I go to the dashboard-Potential Issues it says we have 43 out of 46 AP's with potential issues and 161 out of 174 clients with potential issues.

Is there any documentation or tutorials that can explain what these issues are? When I click on the link it shows the AP's or clients with a bunch of statistics, but I don't have any reference or idea what good or bad numbers are.

We have a few different wireless networks in house (a hospital) including our Aruba network, wireless heart monitoring systems, wireless phones, wireless nurse call systems, and even see a public wifi network that is broadcast from a local ISP. All these networks have to be effecting each other, but I have no idea how to address this.

When I walk around looking at signal strengths, I don't really see what I believe is a good signal, even if I am directly below the Aruba AP. I've used a few applications that have signal strength meters, but I'm not even sure they are giving me good data. I believe the best way to see signal integrity should be from our controllers, but I don't know how to interpret what the controllers are showing me.

I hope I explained this well enough. Any comments? Thanks in advance.
ACMP - Feb 2014
Guru Elite

Re: Interpreting mobility controller monitoring data

We have 2 controllers with 46 AP's in a mixed environment. We are running ArubaOS 6.1.1.0 and when I go to the dashboard-Potential Issues it says we have 43 out of 46 AP's with potential issues and 161 out of 174 clients with potential issues.

Is there any documentation or tutorials that can explain what these issues are? When I click on the link it shows the AP's or clients with a bunch of statistics, but I don't have any reference or idea what good or bad numbers are.

We have a few different wireless networks in house (a hospital) including our Aruba network, wireless heart monitoring systems, wireless phones, wireless nurse call systems, and even see a public wifi network that is broadcast from a local ISP. All these networks have to be effecting each other, but I have no idea how to address this.

When I walk around looking at signal strengths, I don't really see what I believe is a good signal, even if I am directly below the Aruba AP. I've used a few applications that have signal strength meters, but I'm not even sure they are giving me good data. I believe the best way to see signal integrity should be from our controllers, but I don't know how to interpret what the controllers are showing me.

I hope I explained this well enough. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

There is a Dashboard chapter in the ArubaOS 6.1 user guide. Please take a look, if you can. i can tell you that there is work being done to revise the dashboard and make it more clear and more useful. After you read the chapter, your feedback would be helpful.

With regards to your signal strength issue, how the AP sees the client and how the client sees the AP are two different things, but related nevertheless. When a client shows signal strength and is connected to the network, he could be showing signal strength for the actual access point he is associated to and not the one he is right under, so that could explain your discrepancy.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

There is a Dashboard chapter in the ArubaOS 6.1 user guide. Please take a look, if you can. i can tell you that there is work being done to revise the dashboard and make it more clear and more useful. After you read the chapter, your feedback would be helpful.

With regards to your signal strength issue, how the AP sees the client and how the client sees the AP are two different things, but related nevertheless. When a client shows signal strength and is connected to the network, he could be showing signal strength for the actual access point he is associated to and not the one he is right under, so that could explain your discrepancy.

I read the chapter and it does explain what each item is showing, but I guess my question is how do I resolve the potential issues the dashboard is showing me. For instance if a client is showing a low SNR, speed, or goodput, how do I address the issue or determine the problem? Is there troubleshooting documentation available?
ACMP - Feb 2014
Guru Elite

Try the attached

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Much appreciated! Thanks. I'll let you know what we find.

ACMP - Feb 2014
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: