ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to change the role assigned to "Guest" users?

When we create guest users on the internal database using the guest provisioning interface it defaults the users to the "Guest" role. Our guest role is actually another role, is there a place to change this?

On our captive portal auth server it goes:
1) External Radius server for long-term ID's which has password resets etc..
2) Internal database for short-term ID's.

It works fine except when users are created they default to the "Guest" role and I need them in another role.

Thanks!

Re: Is there a way to change the role assigned to "Guest" users?

After some digging I see that it is not possible to change this role. So that triggers question #2; on our AAA profiles we have Guest as the "MAC Authentication Default Role". Not sure if this is the default or if someone changed it on our side but if we modify the guest role to match our other Guest internet role what impact does this have on the MAC Authentication Default Role? Obviously it means that if anyone authenticates using MAC authentication that is the role they get but I want to confirm that unless we manually enter MAC Addresses people will not fall in this role. Is that a correct statement?

Thank you!
Guru Elite

Possible

After some digging I see that it is not possible to change this role. So that triggers question #2; on our AAA profiles we have Guest as the "MAC Authentication Default Role". Not sure if this is the default or if someone changed it on our side but if we modify the guest role to match our other Guest internet role what impact does this have on the MAC Authentication Default Role? Obviously it means that if anyone authenticates using MAC authentication that is the role they get but I want to confirm that unless we manually enter MAC Addresses people will not fall in this role. Is that a correct statement?

Thank you!

While it is NOT possible to change the role that the user in the database is created with, it is possible to change the role that the user gets when the user has authenticated. Use the tip here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=5902&postcount=6 so that your guests will no longer take the role they were created with in the internal database. Next, go to the captive portal authentication profile and change the default guest role to the one you had in mind.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thank you for the reply! I saw that post but was a bit confused by it... So I delete the rules listed (Which are a bit odd looking and I think came with it) and then create a new server rule that fires on username or something similar and puts them in the role I want them to be in?
Guru Elite

Rules

You delete the rules (those rules basically say put the user in the role that is attached to the user). After you do that, you go to the Captive Portal Authentication profile (Configuration> All Profiles (lower left)> Wireless> Captive Portal Authentication Profile), and then change the guest default role to whatever you want.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I see, thank you! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: