ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Issues with Mac systems?

looking for input,

we have a small handful of users reporting patchy performance and disconnects with Macintosh systems. We've never seen it, and whenever we test with our Mac, the problem doesn't occur. There is no commonality in OS version, although it seems to be the newer ones. I don't feel like I have enough to start making changes, but I don't want to ignore a possible issue either.

Has anyone noticed any Mac connectivity issues in 3.3.2.18 or 3.4.0.5 ?

We've got SLB, band steering, and fair-access enabled

Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this without making things bad for everyone else?
Guru Elite

MAC Client Nuances

looking for input,

we have a small handful of users reporting patchy performance and disconnects with Macintosh systems. We've never seen it, and whenever we test with our Mac, the problem doesn't occur. There is no commonality in OS version, although it seems to be the newer ones. I don't feel like I have enough to start making changes, but I don't want to ignore a possible issue either.

Has anyone noticed any Mac connectivity issues in 3.3.2.18 or 3.4.0.5 ?

We've got SLB, band steering, and fair-access enabled

Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this without making things bad for everyone else?

r_harris, Austin Hawthorne wrote an excellent article on this here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=914 When you are done digesting this, if you consult support, they will be able to give you guidance on how to proceed and/or if there are specific issues that are related to the version of code you are running.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Re: Issues with Mac systems?

I've seen something similar that affects my wife's white macbook with a Broadcom chipset, but not my macbook pro with Atheros chipset or my Lenovo T61. The error she gets is a dialog box that says she can reach the gateway but the Internet is unreachable. She has to go through the process of adding the network and the PSK again. I've never seen this on my mac. I'm working through Austin's setup that Colin mentioned, starting with the mixed mode settings. I'll try to grab a screen capture if it happens again, you might ask your users to do the same so we can see what it is that's happening if Austin's steps don't clear it up.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

The problem which we were seeing is that Mac clients were sending out reassociation requests frequently on AP’s having more than 8 existing associations. After 8 wireless clients (which could be Windows or/and Mac) associated to an AP, then, software added a byte to the Traffic Indication Map (TIM) field in the beacon which causes everything else following that to shift except the HTINFO and vendorIE info's places, and Aruba AP was setting the HTINFO updates at wrong place. Hence the primary channel was getting set incorrectly and causing reassociation requests to be sent out. Window client needs Vendor IE to be right and Mac book needs HTINFO IE to be right. That’s why we are only seeing this behavior on Macbooks.

On last Friday, Aruba released 3.4.0.6 which has the fix for it. I had tested it today with 11 clients on an AP125 and result looked good.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

To fix the Mac OS issue upgrade to 3.4.x code, then change the following:

Navigate to: Configuration/AP Group/Edit Group
Click: Wireless LAN/Virtual AP/Name of Virtual AP/SSID Profile/High-Throughput SSID profile.

Put a check mark in "allow weak encryption". Apply...save config.

Should fix your Mac issue.

?

will this fix also help if we're still using 3.3.2.18?

Thanks!
MVP

Please elaborate the scope of this bug

Would this effect 3.3.2.20?
Does it effect 802.11abg deployments (without n)?

Are they symptoms simply Macs unable to connect to utilized APs (those with 8+ associations)?
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Guru Elite

MAC issue

will this fix also help if we're still using 3.3.2.18?

Thanks!

Not sure which issue is fixed using "allow weak encryption", maybe Rbren can explain further.

It was discovered with 802.11n clients using a Broadcom chipset. It was not found in regular b/g or a/b/g access points. The temporary workaround was to turn of HT for that wireless network.

The issue with over 8 associations creating connectivity issues has been fixed in 3.4.0.6, the upcoming 3.3.2.22, and the upcoming 3.4.1.1.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

fixed?

I was told by alcatel that this issue was resolved in version 3.3.2.21, is that not the case?
Guru Elite

The Question....

The question is, to which issue are you referring? The bug ID for the fix should be in the release notes.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: