ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor I

L2 connection across L3 network

Hello.
I m looking for a solution to connect VLANs in two different locations across a L3 network. Using a RAP would be an easy solution but we need more power. So I m looking for a configuration to configure a WLAN controller like RAP.

Thanks

Hauke
Guru Elite

Re: L2 connection across L3 network

You would do that by creating a layer2 GRE tunnel between them: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1485

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the answer.
My fault. I haven't highlighted enough that we need a configuration on one side with DHCP like we have with a RAP on the remote side. The tunnel mechanism is only configurable with static IP addresses I think.

Regards

Hauke
Guru Elite

I don't think I understand you fully. Please describe how it should work and we can give you some suggestions.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hello.
The configuration is the following. We have a central side where we will have a controller this controller has a fix IP address. This location is connected to a IP routed carrier network.

Than we have some branch offices where we would position also WLAN controller. The connection to the carrier network is DHCP (client) based. So we have a configuration here with dynamic IP addresses on the uplink.
So in the moment I don't see any possibility because the tunnel configuration is based on fix IP addresses. It is not possible to use static IP addresses here.

We would span some VLANs (L2 services) across the hole network from the branch to central side.

So it is a typical design with the RAP but the RAP is not powerful enough.
Guru Elite

When you say "the RAP is not powerful enough", what do you mean?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Hello.
We need a bandwidth on the link of 500Mbps to 1Gbps each. With the RAP 5 we can't reach these numbers I think.

Hauke
Guru Elite

No, not if you need 1 gig to 500mb. Is every hop from one site to another gig? Can the clients on one end push/pull the data from devices that can sustain gig speeds and sustain gig speeds themselves? If not, the RAP5 and the AP125 both can do 100mb and that is usually plenty.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Yes we have some powerful devices connected and no chance to split the traffic and using some RAPs. Thats why I ask for a configuration for a WLAN controller working as a RAP.
Guru Elite

You could use site to site VPN with dynamic endpoints to accomplish this. Instead of a peer, you define a FQDN in each site to site VPN configuration that identifies each site, no matter what ip address it has. Layer 3 the far end will have a different IP address, but then you can run a layer2 GRE tunnel over it using the static peer to peer VPN tunnel created via layer3.

In every ArubaOS user guide there is a heading for "Site-to-Site VPNs with Dynamic IP Addresses" that shows you how to setup dynamic site to site VPN between controllers. You can then use the link a few posts above to create a layer2 tunnel across that.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: