ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Location based derivation rules

Hi all,
We are interested in applying policies to users who are connecting to APs located in specific set of buildings. I see that we can create location based derivation rules, but I’m not sure what ‘location’ means to the controller. Is this an AP group or something else? Any further explanation is appreciated.
Guru Elite

Re: Location based derivation rules

That has been deprecated and should not function. The way you would accomplish this is to create different AP groups that place users in different roles that have different permissions for different buildings.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Gotcha. One followup. If I assign the role associated with the new AP group a separate vlan. How will roaming work? Will we run into L3 roaming issues when clients roam from the APs in the new AP group to APs in the standard AP group? All APs terminate on the same controller and buildings are within roaming distance. Thanks for your assistance.
Guru Elite

The big question, is would you want to put the user in a new VLAN, knowing that if they change ip addresses, their application might not function correctly.

You can enable VLAN mobility in the Virtual AP profile to fix this.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: