Occasional Contributor I

Locked out

This is not your typical "O crap I forgot my pw"

Basically I was experimenting with the using different configs to boot on different partitions to see what I could do with it.

I had 5.0 on one partition and 2.4 on the other. I can only assume I set the wrong config file to boot on the wrong partition and my controller did not like this.

So I go to log in.... and the root user pw did not work. Ok no problem, I went to reset it. I get an error that says, I need to have an IP assigned to my interface before continuing. I try to get into an interface... I get an error stating I don’t have permission to do that.:(

Alright... let’s try to change the config file... I don’t have permission to do that.
Change the boot partition... I don’t have permission to do that.:mad:

Alright... I do a show config. All my interfaces are missing. But at least vlan 1 is still there :confused:

You know that felling when you are fishing and you get a bird’s nest... that what this feels like.

Any help would me much appreciated. Oh yes, this is a 200 controller if that helps any.
Aruba

Password Reset

Just to clarify... were you able to run through the standard password recovery methodology successfully to create a new ROOT user, or did these errors start when you _tried_ and yet were not successful in doing so ?
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Locked out

"did these errors start when you _tried_ and yet were not successful in doing so"

FIrst I tried to modify my admin root pw, then I attempted to create a new root user as you suggested. Same error, instructing me to assign the switch an IP address before being able to excute any commands.

I think I just bricked my controller :(

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if there is a hard reset to clear out the config files for a 200 controller. I'm 99% sure im forcing 2.4 code to use a 5.0 config file and it is bricking my unit.
Guru Elite

Password Recovery

Using the password recovery feature, you create your admin user, but then you need to log out, then log back in as the user you created. The enable password will be enable after that.

type "write erase" to reset your controller, then reboot, after you get in as admin.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Unfortunatly I can't create an admin user nor modify and existing one.

-------------------------------------------------
User: password
Password: forgetme!
(Aruba200) >enable
Password:enable
(Aruba200) #configure terminal
Enter Configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z

(Aruba200) (config) #mgmt-user admin root
Password:******
Re-Type password:******
The switch ip is not configured. Configure the switch ip address before executing any command

(Aruba200) (config) #mgmt-user admin "root"
Password:******
Re-Type password:******
The switch ip is not configured. Configure the switch ip address before executing any command

----------------------------------------------------

ok.... lets assign some IPs shall we!

(Aruba200) (config) #interface gigabitethernet 1/1
You do not have permission to execute this command

(Aruba200) (config) #interface fastethernet 0/1

(Aruba200) (config) #interface vlan 1

poop:confused:

------------------------------------------------------

ok, lets get fancy!

(Aruba200) (config) #boot system partition 1

(Aruba200) (config) #boot system partition 0

(Aruba200) (config) #boot config-file default.cfg

epic fail:mad:
Occasional Contributor I

I'm possitive I have 2.4 code trying to boot a 5.0 config file and this is bad juju. I cant do PW recovery, I cant change the boot file, I cant change the boot partition, I cant do a write erase.

insert sad face here.
Guru Elite

Situation

That situation normally exists when the controller has not even been provisioned.

I would plug into an ethernet port on the controller and see if I am given a 172.16.0.253 address. if you are, then you should browse to the controller at 17216.0.254 and configure it using a browser.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the responses guys. But I ended up going into cpboot and changing my default config files there to factory settings and presto! I have a workign un-bricked controller.

:D
Aruba

Now it's time to update that partition ;)

Glad you got the controller back to an operational/friendly state.

Now time to retire that 2.4.x.x code R.I.P.

:D
New Contributor

Hello,

Can you detail the commands you use to change the default config files to factory settings?

Thanks!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: