ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Lost of pings in 802.11b/g connection

Hi everybody.

I´d like to ask you about somenthing we have checked in our first steps working with aruba controller. It is lost of pings in a 802.11g connection.

We are starting to deploy Aruba backbone in our customers. Some issue that we have checked in our customer sites and in our own lab is lost of pings in 802.11b/g connection. Done by the client to a host or done by a PC wired by ethernet to the client.

The test is easy. 1 controller D620 with the last sofware version. 6.1.2.3. One AP92. Encryption WPA. We have 2 clients, same equipments. One works in b only and the other in b/g. The result is that we found much more lost pings in terminal connected to b/g rather that the one connected only in b.

This is somenthing we have seen in other software version installed in our controllers. 6.0.1.2 was a really problematic versión where we found this problem really critical. Shifting to other version smooth the problem but don´t make it dissapear.

Clients (PDAs working in windows CE) are working with summit radios. We found same problem in Dell Laptops as well.

To have an overview of how many pings are lost, we have 4–9% of lost pings in b/g.

My question is, have you got any feedback of this kind of problems?. We have disabled High throutput and preamble is set to Long. Rest of configuration is almost let as default.

Customer complains of slow connection in theirs applications.

Any comments will be really helpfully.

Thanks in advanced,

Juan
Guru Elite

Re: Lost of pings in 802.11b/g connection

Hi everybody.

I´d like to ask you about somenthing we have checked in our first steps working with aruba controller. It is lost of pings in a 802.11g connection.

We are starting to deploy Aruba backbone in our customers. Some issue that we have checked in our customer sites and in our own lab is lost of pings in 802.11b/g connection. Done by the client to a host or done by a PC wired by ethernet to the client.

The test is easy. 1 controller D620 with the last sofware version. 6.1.2.3. One AP92. Encryption WPA. We have 2 clients, same equipments. One works in b only and the other in b/g. The result is that we found much more lost pings in terminal connected to b/g rather that the one connected only in b.

This is somenthing we have seen in other software version installed in our controllers. 6.0.1.2 was a really problematic versión where we found this problem really critical. Shifting to other version smooth the problem but don´t make it dissapear.

Clients (PDAs working in windows CE) are working with summit radios. We found same problem in Dell Laptops as well.

To have an overview of how many pings are lost, we have 4–9% of lost pings in b/g.

My question is, have you got any feedback of this kind of problems?. We have disabled High throutput and preamble is set to Long. Rest of configuration is almost let as default.

Customer complains of slow connection in theirs applications.

Any comments will be really helpfully.

Thanks in advanced,

Juan

There are a number of things that can cause pings to drop:

- Interference
- Old client wireless card drivers
- Congestion/Contention or alot of traffic in that VLAN
- Port on AP/Controller did not negotiate properly with the switch

Please check all of these things.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi Cjoseph. thanks for your comments.

No interference in our office. We sniffer the area to check for less congestion channel.

Summit client updated. We are working with new equipments.

Test made at early hours in the morning (I was alone in the office :)).

About port configuration; why in b is ok and not in g?

I know in customer warehouse we can have a lot of issues to take in consideration but here, in my office where is a really clear enviorement, well checked and "under control" we can´t understand this response in the communication if only were a problem in the settings of itself.

Sorry again Cjoseph,

Any recommendation for the OS version?. We don´t know very well how to choose the recommended one?. Is there any release to be called by Aruba as "Recommended" or the best is allways the last one (which I think is not).

thanks again
Guru Elite

The OS version you are using should be fine, but you can upgrade to the latest possible to see if there is a difference.

A packet capture might have to be taken to determine what the problem really is. You should open a TAC case to get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Ok then, I will look for the latest version although I thought 6.1.2.3 was the last one.

thanks
Guru Elite

Ok then, I will look for the latest version although I thought 6.1.2.3 was the last one.

thanks

6.1.2.3 is the last one, you are correct. Sorry about that.

Did you try to turn of ARM scanning?

Colin Joseph

Yes, no problem detected of noise or interferences
Guru Elite

Last, but not least, you should try it with Open or NO encryption.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

I have actually seen the same thing with loss of pings using the 6000 controller with 6.1.2.3 OS. It is not consistent but every 10 to 15 pings it will drop one.

I have been having nothing but trouble with this version. We had our SE in here for a couple of days since this is a new deployment. I was also working with TAC (first level a couple of times and now onto advanced) and they have identified a bug that if you are sending SNMP traps and it has an error it denies clients from being associated in the user table. Should just be the beginning. At times my "g" only clients cannot get onto the network at all. :eek:
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: