ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

M3s upgrade and VRRP question

I will be upgrading a pair of local M3s with VRRP configured between them and a Master controller.

What's the command to failover APs groups between controllers?

We have around 500 APs setup in 2 separate groups, group 1 goes to Local1 and group 2 goes to Local2. So the plan is to failover group 1 to Local2 and upgrade Local1 and the Master. Once upgrade is completed, failover group 1 & 2 to Local1.

APs should get upgraded then, and also upgrade Local2 controller. Failover group 2 back to Local2.

How does this sound?

Thanks
Aruba Employee

Re: M3s upgrade and VRRP question

The process sounds right. To get the APs failed to the other controller, shut down the VRRP instance on controller 1. When all the APs move to controller 2, do you upgrade on local 1 and the master. Re-enable VRRP on local 1 and shut down VRRP on local 2. The APs will move back to local 1 and go through their upgrade process automatically. When you upgrade local 2, rememer to re-enable VRRP. If preempt is enabled, the APs will automatically move back to their "primary" controllers when VRRP stabilizes.
Aruba Employee

I was assuming VRRP is between the locals, right? Or do you have the master as the backup for both local1 and local2? If the latter, make sure you upgrade the master first, let it come back up, then upgrade local1, let it come back up, then upgrade local2.
Contributor I

Yes VRRP between local only. I thought there was a command to failover VRRP groups instead of shutting down VRRP.

Thanks
Aruba Employee

It is possible that there is a command that I not aware of, but as far as I know, you have to force a VRRP transition to get the APs to move. You could enable preempt and set the priority on local2 higher. That would also force the VRRP group to tranistion and the APs would follow.
Contributor I

you are correct, no VRRP failover command. So I just shutdown the VLAN interface for the VRRP VLAN correct?
Aruba Employee

I dont advocate shutting down the interface, just in case that's the only way to get to the controller for management. If you just shut down the VRRP group, the physical IP on the VLAN running VRRP will still be reachable.
Contributor I

I said VLAN interface. Sounds good, thanks for your help
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: