Aruba Employee
awl

Re: Mac 10.7.2 Update = No Connectivity

Regardless of the technical issue at hand, you really shouldn't be using the factory installed certs. They were never intended for full production. It's a matter of time before other OS and browsers start doing more strict checking, and you'll be back in the same boat. This also allows a smaller hole in the firewall for cert checks.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
New Contributor
oakescw

Update - finally got access to a hurt machine, looks like their Keychain file had some corrupted entries, so we blew away the bad entries and the client was able to login again. It did ask to very our Verisign cert for 802.1x (like a new client would). I'm checking the OCSP stuff now, but thought I'd share the Keychain issue. Anyone else seen this? I'm also putting in a ticket now to Aruba on this.
- Carl Oakes
Aruba Employee
awl

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're opening a ticket with Aruba for what exactly?

The OCSP issue is well known, but it's a change all of us in the industry will need to make. It's not something we can fix as we don't control the end points, browser software, OS, or the cert vendors. All of us will either have to open up ports or disable checking. You have a Verisign cert, and they should be telling you what IPs their OCSP checks are going to run against as part of their service.

If the keychain on the Mac was corrupted by an upgrade, then that's an Apple issue that they should really be investigating. The fact that the only thing that changed was the OS on the client device points that way. If all your Mac devices stopped working after an Aruba upgrade it would make sense to call Aruba.

Thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
New Contributor
oakescw

OCSP is our captive portal issue, so part of the problem solved. I agree with you, this is an industry wide issue, and again, we are left with the headache of trying to keep up IP based firewalls with changing URL's.... :(

I agree on the ticket, but we are still seeing issues with WPA2 and the Mac, and I don't have a definite answer/solution yet. We are also opening a ticket with Apple, but wanted to keep Aruba in the loop just in case.

Thanks for your help and attention on this Andy!

- Carl
- Carl Oakes
New Contributor
rgetter

Fix: Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity/

We have this issue here and I recently read about iCloud's new (10.7.2) Ubiquity having problems when it's installed (permissions, in some cases). In my tests, Keychain Access would often hang when I tried to start it and I noted several "ubiquity" certificate entries with errors in the DB.

This is the step-by-step fix that I gave our help desk people. It fixed the wireless authentication issue on several machines running 10.7.2. The Aruba authentication screen usually will now appear (via native Webkit) shortly after startup/wake-up:

• In the Finder, hold down the Option key and, in the Go menu, select Library (in Lion, the folder is hidden unless you hold down Option)
  • In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder--it is probably the second in the list
  • Have the student press the "U" key (to get them in the neighborhood) and scroll down to find the Ubiquity folder
  • Drag the Ubiquity folder to either the Desktop or the Trash (if all goes well, it can be deleted)
  • Restart the computer and test the connection

This is the Macworld article that inspired the above solution.

FYI: found out about this forum thanks to a link in a MacRumors forum thread.

Hope it helps,
Ric
Aruba Employee
zjennings

Fix: Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Ubiquity/

I didn't know Ubiquity was part of OSX. Looks like it's just a Linux utility.

That's very odd.

Zach
Regular Contributor I
COLE1

We have this issue here and I recently read about iCloud's new (10.7.2) Ubiquity having problems when it's installed (permissions, in some cases). In my tests, Keychain Access would often hang when I tried to start it and I noted several "ubiquity" certificate entries with errors in the DB.

This is the step-by-step fix that I gave our help desk people. It fixed the wireless authentication issue on several machines running 10.7.2. The Aruba authentication screen usually will now appear (via native Webkit) shortly after startup/wake-up:

• In the Finder, hold down the Option key and, in the Go menu, select Library (in Lion, the folder is hidden unless you hold down Option)
  • In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder--it is probably the second in the list
  • Have the student press the "U" key (to get them in the neighborhood) and scroll down to find the Ubiquity folder
  • Drag the Ubiquity folder to either the Desktop or the Trash (if all goes well, it can be deleted)
  • Restart the computer and test the connection

This is the Macworld article that inspired the above solution.

FYI: found out about this forum thanks to a link in a MacRumors forum thread.

Hope it helps,
Ric

Thanks for posting. That seems to have worked well for our user that was having this problem.
New Contributor
dgarnet

user

Hello all, i'm an enduser at a hospital which has a guest wi-fi account using Aruba. I have a new mac book air and was previously able to get online with both Safari and Firefox. There was a recent update to the OEM Lion OS. The install went fine as far as I believe; however, now I am unable to login to the secure aruba network with either browser (it just times out and i have to force quit the browsers). Other networks work fine with my Mac.
I recently put a ticket in but as i'm guessing the hospital IT is overwhelmed and there are probably only a few people using the new Mac software, i thought going directly to the source (you all) would expedite the issues as I used to use my laptop daily.

Is there anything I can do on my end?

Thanks
ps. I tried removing the Ubiquity folder as above and the status bar went to like 95% but still did not accept the certificate. Prior to removing this folder, the status bar only got to like 5%