ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Master - Local AP provisioning

We just installed a new 3600 as a local to our 6000, before going into production both are connected to the same subnet and their names are in our DNS servers.
The issues we have are:
1.- If we install a new AP it shows for provisioning only in the local (BTW we still have some room for APs in the master), what if we need to provision it in the master?
2.- When reprovisioning an AP from the local controller to the master, the AP after rebooting is still in the local.´

Have checked the documentation and the KB and don´t find any clue to this, I would much appreciate any help on this, thanks
Aruba Employee

Re: Master - Local AP provisioning

Are the APs also on the same subnet as those controllers?

No, APs are in many different subnets depending on their location, but the routing is the same for APs going to either controller, plus in the reprovisioning an AP case the group has a different AP System profile (local has a profile with LMS settings referring the master and the local controller), APs that go to the Master controller have the default AP system profile (no LMS settings here)
Aruba Employee

Ok, thanks for the info. How are you going about master discovery for your new APs? ADP, DNS, DHCP? If DNS, is aruba-master.yourdomain.suffix in DNS and does it point to the master?

I don't terminate any APs on my master, but if I did, I believe I would still input the IP address of the master as the primary LMS, and as the master in the AP system profile as well.

Ok, thanks for the info. How are you going about master discovery for your new APs? ADP, DNS, DHCP? If DNS, is aruba-master.yourdomain.suffix in DNS and does it point to the master?

I don't terminate any APs on my master, but if I did, I believe I would still input the IP address of the master as the primary LMS, and as the master in the AP system profile as well.

DHCP (option 43 is configured) and DNS is also pointing the master controller.
We have a 6000 with SC1 (128 APs) and needed more APs, as we have deployments in two cities we thought a new controller will do the growth and have less traffic on the WAN side, the new controller has support for 64 APs, this is our expected growth for 2010. The idea of the master-local setup is having a single point of configuration as we add more APs.

I would expect that provisioning is done from the master, to either a master or a local controlled AP group, it doesn´t behave this way for us, is this normal? or we´re missing something?
thank you Mike for your comments, they make us think and view things from different angles
Aruba Employee

Yeah, provisioning should be done from the master, and all configurations in a master-local setup are done on the master, then pushed to the locals.

The fact that the APs are finding the local at your main site is strange though, especially since they are across L3 boundaries. That just sounds like something that would happen if the APs were using ADP for master discovery. Do you happen to have multicast routing (PIM) turned on across your WAN?

So re-reading your first post you say "before" you go in to production. So, I'm guessing your going to move the 3600 out in to the field at a later time?

I´m sorry I didn´t update this thread before, we´ve been very busy troubleshooting other issues.
We opened a case and the solution was to put the LMS IP for the Master controller in the Master´s configuration, we had set the LMS IP in the Local controller only.
Thanks for your help Mike.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: