04-20-2011 06:14 AM
The other option is to install the local at location A same as the master. This would allow me to still provide redundancy and a seamless failover as well as the ability to migrate AP's for maintenance etc. Has anyone ran into a similar challenge? If so can I expect the AP's to connect to the local occasionaly in the first scenario? If so that would be a major disadvantage for that scenario.
04-20-2011 04:27 PM
Place both controllers at the same site
Trunk them both to the same VLAN
No matter what controller the phones land on, they will be in the same VLAN, as well as get the same ip address back
You should now point the RAPs at a DNS address that has two addresses. one that would be the primary controller and one that would be the backup. If there is a loss of connectivity to the first, the access point would try the second address that it got from the DNS resolution.
Aruba Customer Engineering
Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base
Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
04-21-2011 12:12 PM
I don't think I have enough information to accurately give you my opinion of the best solution. Though given what I do know you could do a Master/Master redundant cluster at location A if capacity is not an issue. If it is I would then move to a Master/Local at location A and manually load balance my AP's while providing the opposite controller as the backup. If DR comes into play, then move to a Master/Local setup with the local being at location B could work as well. Putting the phones in the mix, a Master/Master and Master/Local all at location A will provide redundancy so that even if a RAP2 fails over the phone should will be on the same vlan/subnet and should be able to resume after the RAP2 comes back up. All networks vary, but this solution provides redundancy for any Aruba failure. You will have to assess your network and determine other points of failure, like ISP, FW, etc.. In the DR scenario the phones will need to be rebooted to acquire a new IP for the new vlan or subnet.
There are other options, but in any case I would really suggest you get a hold of your local Aruba guy. Having your local guy get a resource for you to talk to, to resolve all scenarios and concerns in a short time would be the best bet.
Hope this helps