ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

Max Associations per SSID Profile

In the Aruba Controller AP Configuration > AP Group name > Wireless LAN > Virtual AP > SSID > SSID Profile > Advanced tab and scroll down to Max Associations

We are currently set to a max of 64. My question is; Is this the maximum associations for that SSID and what happens if this max is reached? We have not had a problem, but I was curious as to what happens.
Guru Elite

MAX clients

If this number is reached, the 65th client will not be allowed on. Make sure you check this if deploying in an area of high density where it will be reached. The platform limit is 256.
Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor I

Re: Max Associations per SSID Profile

Mine is set to 30.
Does that mean I can only have 30 associations per AP?
Aruba Employee

Of course you dont want 64 useres share the same time for all, remember that you only have 54 mbps if its ABG or best case 300 if its N (Mimo) so they are sharing the bandwith in the 54 mbps, and form this 54 you only have 22 mbps of data, the rest is handshake so i do not recommend you to use the 64 max users. but depends what you want to do, and if you have some APs near to you.
MVP

Don't use the defaults

As javello mentioned, 64 associations to share such a small amount of bandwidth is silly. We currently have ours set to 30 associations, but I know many on the TAC/ACE teams have recommended 25.

To answer ss1020's question, it is per radio, not per AP. So, if the ssid-profile (with 30 max-associations) is put into a virtual-ap with both 'a' and 'g' bands enabled, the *AP* would allow up to 60 associations (30 on each radio).

Association requests to a BSSID beyond the association limit would return an association failure with "Reason AP is resource constrained".
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Contributor II

To answer ss1020's question, it is per radio, not per AP. So, if the ssid-profile (with 30 max-associations) is put into a virtual-ap with both 'a' and 'g' bands enabled, the *AP* would allow up to 60 associations (30 on each radio).

Association requests to a BSSID beyond the association limit would return an association failure with "Reason AP is resource constrained".

Is there a way to this per-radio indepentent of SSID? If I've got an AP that's broadcasting 3 or 4 SSIDs I'd like to be able to limit it to 30 users total per radio.
New Contributor

Max associations

Hi
I see from this thread that the theoretical maximum of MAC associations is 255 users.

Does anyone know any Aruba Access point that is not limited by the 255 users, actually I need 1024 users.

Thanks ;)
Guru Elite

azancoty, that number is per access point. It does not mean total users in the system. Do you really need 1024 users on a single access point?
Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Validated Reference Design Guides : http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/tkb-p/Aruba-VRDs
Contributor II

Just a follow up on this...I'm trying to get my head around what can limit connectivity on the AP's in our school.

My understanding is that the following can limit connectivity:
DHCP scope limit per controller (WLAN) (lets say 512 ip's)
Max associations per AP SSID (currently set at 64)
Policy Enforcement Firewall (we are running V3) - so set at 256 per controller

We have a common area in the halls that only runs the one AP for presentations etc.
What we are finding is that the AP gets maxed out on connections from kids devices that they bring into the hall (sanctioned and unsanctioned) and then the presenter is not able to connect (we resource is constrained in the logs)

Yes the AP is open for guest access.
If we were to use Captive Portal for this - would this stop these accidental connections?
If we were to use security on the WLAN I'm assuming that this would not as once the kids put this in once then it will be remembered by the device and it will connect again anyway?

Any suggestions here?
Craig
Guru Elite

Resource constrained in the logs is normally seen when a load balancing mechanism ignores a client so that it can find another access point. This is not an issue, unless there is not another access point within earshot.

You could

- Place another access point within earshot to improve capacity
- Employ Captive portal or some other security method like preshared or 802.1x to limit connections, like you mentioned.
Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: