ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Mesh isn't working

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a test Mesh network between a 651 controller (built in AP) and an AP125.

I have created a Mesh Cluster Profile, and added this to a new AP Group. I'm using the default Mesh Radio profiles.

I have provisioned the 651 as a mesh portal and put it into the mesh group. This has the flag 'M' listed and appears under 'show ap mesh active'.

I have provisioned the 125 in the same group and set it as a mesh point, however after the reboot I can't see it from the controller, only the power light is flashing.

edit: I've moved the AP125 to being a portal and configured an AP105 as a point - this works fine however if I disconnect the AP125 the 105 doesn't find the 651 mesh. I can't see what might be wrong with the 651.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Guru Elite

show ap active

Display "show ap active" and see what Channel that Mesh AP is on. The built-IN AP on the 651 is only operates on a single band at one time. Since your mesh band might be in the "A" band, you might have the internal AP on the b/g serving clients, so you won't be able to do mesh AND clients unless you do it on the same band.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Mesh isn't working

Thanks for your reply Colin,

The 651 AP is configured on band 'a', and the Mesh is configured for 'a' as well.

(Aruba651) #show ap active

Active AP Table
---------------
Name Group IP Address 11g Clients 11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP 11a Clients 11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP AP Type Flags Uptime Outer IP
---- ----- ---------- ----------- ------------------- ----------- ------------------- ------- ----- ------ --------
AP125 Mesh 172.16.0.249 0 0 MPP:HT:48-/9/21 125 M 12m:6s N/A
Integrated Mesh 172.16.0.252 0 0 MPP:HT:112-/9/22 651 M 3h:3m:20s N/A
AP105-test Mesh 172.16.0.248 0 0 MP:HT:48-/23/23 105 M 17m:50s N/A

I'm not bothered about serving clients right now. Infact there isn't a Virtual AP configured on this AP group yet - I'm just trying to get the mesh up and running using the 651 as the mesh portal.
Guru Elite

show ap mesh topology

Do a "show ap mesh topology" and post the output. Why is the mesh portal on channel 112? Is that allowed your regulatory domain?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

(Aruba651) #show ap mesh topology

Mesh Cluster Name: qm-mesh
--------------------------
Name Mesh Role Parent Path Cost Node Cost Link Cost Hop Count RSSI Rate Tx/Rx Last Update Uplink Age #Children
---- --------- ------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---- ---------- ----------- ---------- ---------
AP105-test Point (N) AP125 1 0 0 1 45 270/240 8m:56s 19m:58s 0
AP125 Portal (N) - 0 1 0 0 0 - 2m:32s 54m:7s 1
Integrated Portal (N) - 0 0 0 0 0 - 47s 3h:45m:15s 0

Total APs :3
(R): Recovery AP. (N): 11N Enabled. For Portals 'Uplink Age' equals uptime.

Under Regulatory Domain profile, the country code is set to GB - United Kingdom (which is where we are), this has placed ticks in all valid 802.11a channels. I believe this is valid for UK.

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

portal

So, it looks like you have The AP125 mesh portal with an "AP105-test" mesh point connected to it.

Nothing is connected to the internal AP.

Colin Joseph

Correct,

If I unplug the AP125 I want AP105-test to connect to the Internal AP. However the 105 never connects to the mesh. I've also had the AP125 as a Mesh Point and this won't connect either.

As it works with the AP125 as the mesh portal, the mesh profile etc. should be correct. As the 651 is the in same group I can't see why it isn't working?!

Cheers,
-Jeff

Same issue

I have the same issue with 3.4.1 trying to set up a mesh portal AP 65 and a Mesh point AP 61 both on G channel mesh point will not stay active WLAN light on AP 61 (point) flashes on/off or just stays dim

:(
Guru Elite

Mesh and the Internal AP

Correct,

If I unplug the AP125 I want AP105-test to connect to the Internal AP. However the 105 never connects to the mesh. I've also had the AP125 as a Mesh Point and this won't connect either.

As it works with the AP125 as the mesh portal, the mesh profile etc. should be correct. As the 651 is the in same group I can't see why it isn't working?!

Cheers,
-Jeff

Ok,

I think I know what is going on. I see your Mesh portal on the intergrated AP on channel 112. You MUST reboot the entire controller to provision the Integrated AP, unfortunately. You might have made changes to the mesh profile or mesh cluster profile, but those changes do not get propagated unless you reboot the AP. The other APs have a current mesh config, because they have been rebooted. You unfortunately need to reprovision the internal AP and then reboot the whole controller for all of your APs to be in sync.

Colin Joseph

Guru Elite

show ap mesh topology

I have the same issue with 3.4.1 trying to set up a mesh portal AP 65 and a Mesh point AP 61 both on G channel mesh point will not stay active WLAN light on AP 61 (point) flashes on/off or just stays dim

:(

Once again, send your output of "show ap mesh topology"

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: