ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Multicast routing between VLANs

We are implementing a classroom management software, which communicates via IGMP. Multicast packets need to be forwarded between clients on any and all VLANs. Our network has the following topology:

VLAN 1: 10.0.0.0/24 - Wired and wireless clients - Domain network with AD, DHCP, DNS etc.
VLAN 101: 192.168.101.0/24 - wireless only
VLAN 102: 192.168.102.0/24 - wireless only
VLAN 103: 192.168.103.0/24 - wireless only

VLAN 101-103 are in a vlan pool internal to the controller. Clients loging on to the student SSID will be put in one of these vlans pseudo-randomly (Mac-address modulus or something like that).

All VLANs have an IP-address as well as IGMP and Inter-VLAN routing enabled.

All Firewall roles are "allowall"

Deny-inter-user-bridging and deny-inter-user-traffic are disabled, as are Drop broadcast and multicast under the VAP profile.

We're testing on an 620 controller with 6.1.1.0 build 28288.

So far I've got it working with all clients on VLAN 1 or wired, but I am unable to make it work on the other VLANs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
Guru Elite

Re: Multicast routing between VLANs

What is the default gateway for those subnets?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

The default gateway for those subnets are the controllers IP-address on the respective subnets, i.e.:
On VLAN 101 the controllers IP-address is 192.168.101.1. That address is also the the gateway address that the clients get from the DHCP server.

The controller itself has the router on VLAN1 (10.0.0.1) as default gateway. That router has static routes for each of those subnets with the controllers VLAN1 IP-address as gateway, to route traffic back to the internal VLANs.
Guru Elite

There is a section of the ArubaOS user guide entitled "Mobility Multicast". It has a whole section that describes how to enable Multicast.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: