ArubaOS and Controllers

Regular Contributor I

Multiple Vlans one SSID

I would like to deploy one ssid throughout an entire school campus.

If the client is in "building A" they would be placed on building A data vlan, users connecting at building B would be placed on the building B data vlan and so on.

Separating the AP's into groups for each building is not a problem. But then is there a way to tell that AP group to hand out a particular vlan on the ssid?

It appears that I may be able to accomplish this using ap-groups and vlan pooling but I am having a hard time getting details on actualy setup of the vlan pooling feature.

Has anyone else tried to deploy one ssid and have it hand out different vlans depending on where the client is on the campus?
Aruba

Multiple Vlans one SSID

The way to do this is to have multiple Virtual AP (VAP)s defined.

Building A
AP-GROUP A
Virtual AP A = SSID "School", VLAN ID = BuildingAVLAN

Building B
AP-Group B
Virtual AP B = SSID "School", VLAN ID = BuildingBVLAN

The users see the same SSID throughout, however behind the scenes the AP
group and Virtual APs are different.

Works well!
Regular Contributor I

Re: Multiple Vlans one SSID

Thanks !!!

I will try this out.
Regular Contributor I

ok... I must not be in the right spot because I do not see anywhere I can enter that via the web interface.

Also tried to ? mark my way through the SSH interface and have been unable to find where to enter that in the ap group settings.

How and where would I enter that data?

Thanks !!!
Aruba Employee

Mike, in the WebUI, you would create a separate AP Group for each campus location you want to support. So under wireless -> AP Configuration, you would see/create your different AP Groups.

Once you're editing the AP Group, each Virtual AP profile will point you to the correct VLAN for that campus. The Virtual AP profiles can all point to the same AAA and SSID profiles for consistency, but it's the Virtual AP profile that determines the default VLAN for that SSID/WLAN on a given AP.

Hope that helps.
Aruba Employee

Mike, in the WebUI, you would create a separate AP Group for each campus location you want to support. So under wireless -> AP Configuration, you would see/create your different AP Groups.

Once you're editing the AP Group, each Virtual AP profile will point you to the correct VLAN for that campus. The Virtual AP profiles can all point to the same AAA and SSID profiles for consistency, but it's the Virtual AP profile that determines the default VLAN for that SSID/WLAN on a given AP.

Hope that helps.
Regular Contributor I

I go to config>ap group> then edit the ap group.

From there I can see the SSID under the Virual AP for that group.

I click on SSID-vap_prof and I can see where I can change the vlan assignment but when I do that it changes on all groups not just that particular AP group.

Must be missing something...... if you can reply back and let me know what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.
Aruba Employee

If all AP Groups share the same VAP profile, then you will see the behavior you mentioned.

Basically, each group needs a unique VAP profile. All those unique VAP profiles can reference the same AAA and SSID profiles, but the VAP profiles need to be unique in order to do the VLAN mapping you're looking for.

If you check each of your AP groups, are they all referencing the same SSID-vap_prof? What I've done in the past is to keep that original VAP profile, but create new unique profiles like SSID-vlan1-vap_prof, SSID-vlan2-vap_prof, etc.

Hope that helps.
Regular Contributor I

Yes they are all referencing the same VAP profiles.

How do i create new Virtual AP's and then assign a unique one to the AP group?

sorry for all the questions... i'm going to owe someone big if I can get this working.
Aruba Employee

Mike - the easiest way to do this is to create a new AP group, add the existing VAP, click that VAP so that you are on the page where you assign the VLANs and then click the Save As button at the top of the section. A new box will appear to the left of the Save As button and you can re-name that VAP. Make sure you click Apply at the bottom of the page before you change anything. That way, you have cloned the VAP you were using into the new AP group with a new name. Now, you can edit that VAP without affecting the others. Add as many new AP groups as you need, add the VAP, Save As, Apply, then edit it. Once you have all of your AP groups defined the way you want, re-provision the APs into the right group. Remember, the APs will reboot when you provision them.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: