ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

NUBIE: User guide query

Hi All,
Sorry for the simplicity of this thread but i am new to Aruba (and loving it so far) but i cant for the life of me get Captive portal/guest access to work. I am using a 3400 controller updated to ArubaOS 3.3.3.7 (so it would support the AP-105 APs).
I have been up all night basically with this and i am looking for some idiot proof guides to setting up access for both trusted staff (using radius) and guests (using Captive portal) if such a thing exists for 3.3.3.7 OS ?? The support.arubanetworks.com site seems to have forgotten about this release :(
Much kudos to anyone who can help me out here.
I have SSID broadcasting and i can connect laptop to this and get an IP address from DHCP. This is in a lab so no connection to a live network and no DNS set up but this should be ok for now right?
Thanks again and sorry for how dumb it seems, i did search the forums with no luck...
Guru Elite

Dns

Hi All,
Sorry for the simplicity of this thread but i am new to Aruba (and loving it so far) but i cant for the life of me get Captive portal/guest access to work. I am using a 3400 controller updated to ArubaOS 3.3.3.7 (so it would support the AP-105 APs).
I have been up all night basically with this and i am looking for some idiot proof guides to setting up access for both trusted staff (using radius) and guests (using Captive portal) if such a thing exists for 3.3.3.7 OS ?? The support.arubanetworks.com site seems to have forgotten about this release :(
Much kudos to anyone who can help me out here.
I have SSID broadcasting and i can connect laptop to this and get an IP address from DHCP. This is in a lab so no connection to a live network and no DNS set up but this should be ok for now right?
Thanks again and sorry for how dumb it seems, i did search the forums with no luck...

The Captive Portal requires DNS to work, unfortunately. In an environment with no live DNS server, you can point to the controller's IP address for DNS, and any DNS request, it will just respond with it's own address. So put the controllers IP address as the DNS server address in the DHCP pool.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Re: NUBIE: User guide query

hey cjoseph,
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately when i put in the controller IP as a DNS entry it doesnt seem to make a difference. I think this may be because i have made so many changes trying to get things working!!! I done a WLAN wizzard with new SSID and still doesnt help. I try 1.1.1.1 or controller IP in IE and it still displays page not found.
I can ping just fine on the wireless network. Any more thoughts or guidelines?
thanks.
Guru Elite

Ping

Can you ping 1.1.1.1? In the user guide, there is a detailed step-by-step setup using the commandline and the GUI. The only requirement is, of course, that you need to resolve DNS. You should be able to bring up the portal if you browse to 1.1.1.1 and it is the default gateway of your guest client.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

my problem is getting a user guide for 3.3.3.7 !!!! none exists online!! I have 3.3.2 but it is a totally different setup in the GUI unfortunately. I am on to Aruba Tech Support and hopefully ill get something sooner rather than later....
Aruba Employee

Did you try running through the wizard? That tends to simplify a lot of the steps, and has the side effect of naming all of the profiles with the same prefix. This will allow you to quickly run through your configuration and see what changes were made. If you gave it a test SSID name you could then compare it to your own profile at the end.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
New Contributor

good news, after updating to 3.4.7 firmware everything runs just fine out of the box!!!
Thanks for all the responses!
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: