ArubaOS and Controllers

New Contributor

New Controller, APs not registering

I have a new 3400 controller installed an licensed. The controller is setup to be a local controller to the master 6400 at the HQ office.

The master is running 3.4.2.4
The local is running 5.0.3.3

The local controller shows up status on the crypto tunnel to the master, the master shows likewise to the local.

The APs are all AP 125s. They are connected to a local subnet with DNS settings that are pointing the DNS name aruba-master to the local controller at IP address 172.20.60.10.

If I shutdown the local controller, the APs register and fallback to the master as desired. They will stay up, but the local controller will not allow the APs to show any SSIDs. (Second problem).

If I no-shut the local controller and reboot the APs from the master, the APs continuously reboot and upgrade...reboot and upgrade.

What do I need to do to fix the reboot/upgrade cycling?

What might I need to look at for the SSID's not showing up on the local controller?

The virtual-ap group is there, the ap system-profile is there, the virtual ap-group references an existing and working wlan ssid-profile .

Any advice would be appreciated.
Guru Elite

Re: New Controller, APs not registering

You cannot have a master/local combination running different major revisions of code. A best practice is to also make sure they are of the same version of code to prevent the upgrade/downgrade cycle.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

Both controllers, Master and Local, must be running the same AOS version.

Since they don't match in your environment, that is why you see the upgrade, cycle, upgrade, cycle routine going on, on the AP side.

Equalize the versions (up to 5.x :) ) and that should work much better.
New Contributor

Unfortunately we still have a ton of AP 70s in our environment that will not be supported if we were to update the main controller to the 5.x train. These are our first AP125s.

I will downgrade the local controller then test again tomorrow and report back.
Guru Elite

AP70s ARE supported on 5.x

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

AP70s work just fine on 5.x and 6.x code. You really should upgrade your master controller to the 5.x code as well. The master and local should be on the same code version. They probably aren't coming up because they are booting from the master, getting 3.4, getting punted to the local, getting 5.x, then booting to the mater, etc..etc..
New Contributor

Yay the APs are showing up now and my SSIDs are showing up now thanks to you guys.

The APs that are too old aren't 70s, they are 60, 61, and 65s. Would those work with the newer ArubOS?
Aruba

Thanks for the update.

Yes, AP 60, 61, and 65 all work under AOS 5.x.

Upgrade :)
New Contributor

Same site, trying to provision new AP124s. It keeps asking for valid antenna gain for the 5 Ghz antennas. I put in the numbers in dbi for the AP-ANT-1B

3.8 dbi for 2.4 and
5.8 dbi for 5 Ghz is what it appears to me from the order.

Is that correct? It still squawks back that I need to enter a valid 5 ghz antenna gain value.
Aruba

Did you try just round numbers: 3 and 5 for the input in those fields?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: