ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

No internet through 620

Hello, all. I few months ago I installed a system consisting of a 620 Controller running ArubaOS 5.0.2.1 and two AP61s. I could connect to the internal and guest wireless networks, but could not get internet access. The 620 is not connected directly to their modem, but is behind a 4-Port Linksys router that the company that installed their POS put in to prevent trouble with their online ordering system. I asked why we couldn't just run the PC to the controller, but couldn't get a straight answer, and have been told that it has to be in front of the 620. My gut tells me that this is the issue, but I can't get into the Linksys to check it out.

Today, though, I finally got through to the owner. He told me that while connected to the internal network he still can't access the internet UNLESS he opens up his AOL client and uses that browser, which seems to work fine. I still need to have him see if this is the case for the guest network, but I would assume it's the same(dangerous, I know). Any clues there? I've no idea if AOL uses some kind of proxy or routing that would allow this to occur, thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to check as to getting internet through the linksys to the 620 and then through to the clients? I've been beating my head against my desk every time I've dealt with this since the initial installation, and I can't get down there to work with it often as the site is 2 hours away. I do have remote access, but can't test the wireless that way. *shrug*

Thanks for your time, folks.
Guru Elite

Re: No internet through 620

Let's go through this step by step;

(1) Don't beat your head against anything
(2) What is the default gateway for the wireless clients? Is it linksys or the controller? If it is the controller and the linksys is on the same subnet as the controller, it needs to be the linksys private address. Edit your DHCP pool to make that change.
(3) If the Linksys ip address is NOT in the same subnet as the wireless clients, you need to turn on "ip nat inside" on the VLAN of the wireless clients in the controlller (config t
interface vlan (x) ip nat inside.
(4) If that does not work, post back here
(5) Don't beat your head against anything

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks, Colin! I've remotely edited the DHCP pools to reflect the change you suggested. With any luck I'll hear back from the owner soon and be able to know whether or not that's fixed the issues. I'll post back ASAP if there's any more problems.

Thanks again!

OK, so I finally heard back from the owner and he's saying that now he's lost the ability to get access, even through AOL. I changed the VLANs to add IP NAT Inside just a bit ago, hopefully that'll help. Post again as soon as I know something. Thanks!

Let's go through this step by step;

(1) Don't beat your head against anything
(2) What is the default gateway for the wireless clients? Is it linksys or the controller? If it is the controller and the linksys is on the same subnet as the controller, it needs to be the linksys private address. Edit your DHCP pool to make that change.
(3) If the Linksys ip address is NOT in the same subnet as the wireless clients, you need to turn on "ip nat inside" on the VLAN of the wireless clients in the controlller (config t
interface vlan (x) ip nat inside.
(4) If that does not work, post back here
(5) Don't beat your head against anything

Mmmkay. I finally got out to the site today and we're still having these issues. I can't ping external IPs from the controller, but can ping the linksys just fine. I'm still taking your advice about not beating my head against anything, though. :)

Anything I should post to try to get some ideas while I can easily get at the information? I'll be here until about 4p EST.
Guru Elite

Okay, Time for a topology map.

Does the controller have a default gateway? What is it? Does that default gateway automatically provide firewalling and NAT functions for everything behind it?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Okay, Time for a topology map.

Does the controller have a default gateway? What is it? Does that default gateway automatically provide firewalling and NAT functions for everything behind it?

Controller's default gateway is 192.168.192.1, which is the Linksys. I've got no clue what the settings are on the Linksys, as I can't access it. I would assume it has some firewalling/NAT going on, as it was set up by the company that provides the POS for the online ordering system here.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: