ArubaOS and Controllers

Frequent Contributor II

Planning my first N deployment

I have a site (green fields) which is purchashing around 30 laptops (with intel abgn) and we're using Ap105s.

I want the new laptops to be on A running N and all others (non N) to be running over G. AFAIK this means full performance on N and g for up to 54meg and older devices. What's the best way to achieve this? 40Mhz channel is only on for A and I will use band steering unless its better to do an SSID for A(n) and one for g?? Then only config the new laptops for the A system? :confused:

Thanks!
Guru Elite

Two different SSIDs?

I have a site (green fields) which is purchasing around 30 laptops (with intel abgn) and we're using Ap105s.

I want the new laptops to be on A running N and all others (non N) to be running over G. AFAIK this means full performance on N and g for up to 54meg and older devices. What's the best way to achieve this? 40Mhz channel is only on for A and I will use band steering unless its better to do an SSID for A(n) and one for g?? Then only config the new laptops for the A system? :confused:

Thanks!

To accomplish this the way you describe it, you will need two different SSIDs.

As an alternative, in the AP System-Profile, under QOS, create a 802.11a traffic management profile that has preferred access, and just have a single SSID with band steering. That way, 802.11a/n clients will get preferential access over 802.11a clients . 802.11g clients will have to use 2.4ghz like they were before. Philosophically, I would want as many devices on the "a" band as possible and protect the "n" devices that are the fastest.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Planning my first N deployment

So if I were to attach some a only clients, would that "pull down" the N on that band? (using the traffic management? I will do some reading up of that profile as its not something I've used before.
Occasional Contributor I

That is the way I understand it to work. The only customer I have running 'n' is using the 'a' band with 40 Mhz channels and locking out regular 'a' client devices.

Guru Elite

Standard

By default, the users on the 5ghz, or "a" band take longer to transmit, so 802.11n 5ghz clients will have to wait longer, as they do. Using the method I mentioned above, we can give 802.11n clients more access to the medium and more throughput, as a result.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Great stuff, I have now completed a CC for the work to take place next month and will check band steering is on. I will also ensure the drivers are up to date on all the new and old laptops I connect. Thanks again.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: