ArubaOS and Controllers

Aruba Employee

Port Channel Load Balancing

We are installing new M3's and are looking to ensure that our 4 member port channel is properly load balanced between all 4 Gig connections.

In the Cisco side we can set src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac | src-ip | dst-ip | src-dst-ip | src-port | dst-port | src-dst-port | mpls for the balancing protocol.

This is important as all our APs destination would go to the loopback MAC and IP and saturate a single GB rather than balancing across the 4 members.

Any recommendations on this?
Guru Elite

Recommendation

We are installing new M3's and are looking to ensure that our 4 member port channel is properly load balanced between all 4 Gig connections.

In the Cisco side we can set src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac | src-ip | dst-ip | src-dst-ip | src-port | dst-port | src-dst-port | mpls for the balancing protocol.

This is important as all our APs destination would go to the loopback MAC and IP and saturate a single GB rather than balancing across the 4 members.

Any recommendations on this?

Turner,

I recommend you use the Vanilla port-channeling commands on and then monitor traffic on the ports. Aruba does not support the balancing commands on your side so we're not sure how this will affect load-balancing or even interoperability. Even if you use load-balancing, that's not to say that egress traffic would be balanced, as well.

If you do use the load balancing on the Cisco side, it would be interesting to hear how it looks and further what you used to push 4 gig of traffic through the controller.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that ArubaOS 3.4.1 now supports LACP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Aggregation_Control_Protocol#Link_Aggregation_Control_Protocol

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: