ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Pulling configs from a controller

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to retrieve a file from a controller's flash by way of FTP/SFTP or similar?

What I'm looking into, is a query from a customer who wants to automate backups of the controllers configs (default.cfg) to a management server (NOT Airwave!).

I don't think the Aruba OS has anyway of scheduling a task like this, so I'm thinking the management server (assume a generic FTP/SNMP thing) would have to pull it? Is that possible?

Any ideas?

J.
Aruba Employee

Re: Pulling configs from a controller

You might take a look at RANCID http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RANCID_%28software%29

I know it takes a bit of tweaking to get it to work right with Aruba, but that should do what you're looking for...

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

Forgot to add the direct link as well: http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Guru Elite

Kiwi Cat Tools

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to retrieve a file from a controller's flash by way of FTP/SFTP or similar?

What I'm looking into, is a query from a customer who wants to automate backups of the controllers configs (default.cfg) to a management server (NOT Airwave!).

I don't think the Aruba OS has anyway of scheduling a task like this, so I'm thinking the management server (assume a generic FTP/SNMP thing) would have to pull it? Is that possible?

Any ideas?

J.

You also use Kiwi Cattools to do this. You can login to any controller an execute commands, along with macros. http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=897

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Thanks

That's pretty helpful. Thanks. It might be interesting to know if any customers have filed an RFE for a feature of this kind. But that's really just out of curiosity!
Aruba Employee

I don't think I've ever heard of an RFE for this, mostly because there are tools like the one's that Colin and I referenced that handle the job already. Any reason the customer is looking to do it this way as opposed to a management system that already exists?

If they are really set on doing it via FTP you could automate a system to log into the controller using something like tcl/expect and back it up that way. I think the biggest issue is going to be making sure the file is named correctly with a controller and date so you don't get mixed up as to which file goes to which controller and to make sure you don't overwrite the old file with the new one.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks

We use autoexpect.

jason
Aruba Employee

How do you store/manage your configs once you've downloaded them from the controller?

-awl

Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: