ArubaOS and Controllers

Occasional Contributor II

Questions regarding upgrading 6000 with second supervisor card

Hello all,
We currently have a 6000 series chassis with a Super2 card in slot 0; line cards in slots 2 and 3; and I would like to add a Super1 card to slot 1. This will not be a backup (obviously) but I would like any foresight before installing as I have over 200 APs in production and ~1000 clients online at any given time.

Questions:
Will current config be used on the new card, including VLANs, Auth methods, SSIDs, etc?

Currently ports 0 and 1 in line card 1 are port channel; ports 0 and 1 in line card 2 will be port channel. Will the second line card have its own IP address?

Will the second supervisor card have its own mgmt interface IP?

Thank you very much for your time.
Guru Elite

Separate

Dmobely,

The second supervisor card is pretty much completely separate from the first one in the chassis. They will only be linked together if you do it in the config.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

User guide is missleading

Using the shotgun approach we got this to work, but the instructions in the user guide do not cover all the settings required to make this work. The instructions provided were not clear nor did they have accompanying screens shots to validate what needed to be changed. I was unable to push new changes from master to local controller so you just have to sit and wait to see if new changes work. At one point, before the local controller was configured, previously provisioned APs were associating with the local controller - albeit unprovisioned. The Port Channel configuration page in the WebGUI does not configure the port channel; you must configure Port Channels through the CLI. Its also unclear on how the controllers communicate. Why can't they sync through the management interface? From our perspective it makes more sense to use mgmt interface as pertinent configuration information is not passed through the production network, and bandwidth is not taken away from our clients. So I guess thanks for all the help...I won't be asking again. I'll just keep using my shotgun and hope I don't break anything.

Re: Questions regarding upgrading 6000 with second supervisor card

Dmobely,

The second supervisor card is pretty much completely separate from the first one in the chassis. They will only be linked together if you do it in the config.

Oh and this is just plain wrong...the config from master is used for entire WLAN.
Guru Elite

Configs

Dmobely,

If you bring up a new supervisor card in a chassis and do not point it at anything, it is pretty much an individual with its own IP address, config, etc. IF you point it at another controller, that is when it becomes a local controller and gets its config from that controller.

I suggest you consult support about what you are trying to accomplish and they will tell you the best way to go about it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: