Contributor II

Rack mountable RAP

Are there plans for a rack mountable RAPs?
Guru Elite

Re: Rack mountable RAP

Do not know about racks, but the RAP5 has a wallmount kit.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

I'd be interested in hearing the use case for this. You would have large amounts of interference from all the metal in the rack and the devices mounted around the AP. What is it you're trying to accomplish that a ceiling mount wouldn't do?

thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Contributor II

We use the RAPs for provisiong certain VLANs on oil/gas production platforms. We use RAPs because of the easy deployment. Wireless connectivity isn;t required at those locations.
Aruba Employee

OK, that makes sense. So you're really looking for something like a RAP-5 (no wireless) that you can slot into a rack to extend VLANs to the site, correct?. That isn't something we have today but I'll bring it up with the product manager for RAP.

Thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Contributor II

That's right! thanks for your time and keep me posted! For now we fix the RAPs on rackmountable plates with tie wraps.
Could also be very usefull for (temp) branche locations that require rack mountable equipment. Some partners only accept equipment when its rack mountable.
Aruba Employee

Understand, I suspect that will also come up with the Aruba Instant APs connecting back to a corporate site over a wired RAP. I've let product management know about the request, I'll post back if I hear anything on the subject.

thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

A suggestion from one of the PLM folks was to use the wall mount and attach that directly to a rack shelf. By screwing that into the shelf it will be fixed, and allow you to quickly mount and unmount the AP without zip ties.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Occasional Contributor II

OK, that makes sense. So you're really looking for something like a RAP-5 (no wireless) that you can slot into a rack to extend VLANs to the site, correct?. That isn't something we have today but I'll bring it up with the product manager for RAP.

Thanks,
-awl

What about the new S3500 devices? Will they have ipsec tunneling option back to the controller, like a regular RAP?
Guru Elite

The S3500 is not yet released and when it is, all of the features will be documented. For the deployment discussed in this post the S3500 would not be appropriate.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: