ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor II

Random Captive Portal Re-authentication

I currently have a Captive Portal profile that was working without issue until recently. The two changes that occurred before the odd behavior started are:

* We ceased using PEF-NG and dropped to the base OS way of managing Captive Portal

* We promoted our standalone controller to a Master controller and added a local controller.

Since these changes, users using the Captive Portal SSID will randomly be presented with the Captive Portal page and be forced to re-authenticate. I've first hand evidence of this occurring after ten minutes, and then four minutes with my boss. I've verified that my idle timeout is set to 15300 seconds, and the re-authentication interval on my "logon" role is disabled. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Aruba

It would be good to understand what the user role is in these circumstances when the issue is happening.... and also the AOS version you have in use.

There have been similar observations made in other postings, but too early to say if what you are seeing is same/rhymes with these earlier noted issues.
Contributor II

Re: Random Captive Portal Re-authentication

Currently using AOS 5.0.3.3. I've not laid eyeballs on the role that is in use when this occurs, but I can do that now. The role *should* be "logon".
Contributor II

Think I've got it. Used to have an "authenticated" role when we still were using PEF-NG, but that has gone away. I see now that my 802.1x clients are sent to "guest" on the SSID they log in to. Here's my hunch: The "logon" role is timing out on the time you take to log in because it's, well, a logon role. When they time out, they're forced to reauth. I've changed my CP SSID to default to the "guest" role as well now. I'm testing now to see if this works.
Contributor II

I think that was it. I've got users up for more than 30 minutes without requiring a re-auth. I think we're good!
Aruba

Great to hear! Another mystery solved ;)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: