ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor II

Redundancy in Multi-controller environment

We currently have 2 6000 chassis with 1 M3 card in each. This is a Master-Standby setup. We just bought a ton of new APs that will put us over the 512 limit of the M3 card, so we also bought 2 additional M3 cards, 1 for each chassis.

I was hoping that I could get some direction on how to configure the controllers to maintain our Master-Standby architecture while adding the additional M3 cards. Is possible to keep our Master-Standby setup by chassis or do we have to go to Mast-Local by M3 card? If we do have to go to Master-Local, how can we split the 768 AP licenses across the chassis?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Guru Elite

Re: Redundancy in Multi-controller environment

You cannot split the licenses, since they are tied to physicall controller hardware. Please read the Campus VRD here: for redundancy ideas: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Mobility-Controllers-Deployment-Models-5.0-VRD.pdf

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

I apologize, I should be more specific. I don't mean to split the licenses between the controllers. I meant if we have to go to a Master-Local setup, how can I keep the Master handling APs along with the Local controller? Is that handled through the back plane? Or is there something specific I need to configure?
Guru Elite

Ah,

That is detailed in the document mentioned before. There are a few options that are better explained by the good people of Aruba in the document mentioned above.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Thanks

Thanks for the document. It has helped out a lot. I do have a few more questions, though.

First, I created a VRRP instance between 2 local controllers and it works properly, however, when I look at Monitoring > All Access Points my test AP group that is pointed at that VRRP instance shows the Switch IP as the controller's "physical" IP, not the VRRP instance. This is confusing to me because our current setup points all APs to the Master VRRP address and that VRRP address is what shows up under the existing APs' Switch IP. Am I still missing something in the config?

Second, when I look at the local controllers' GUI, the APs that are terminated on them do not show up. They do show up in the CLI, though. Any ideas on how to get the GUI to show them as well?

Thanks for everything. I appreciate all of the help.
Guru Elite

The "switdhip" is the controller that the access point is actually connected to, regardless of whether or not it is pointed to a VRRP.

You will only see APs from the local controller that they are actually terminated on. If there is a vrrp between both access points, only the local controller that has CONTROL of the VRRP, where the APs are actually terminated will have them listed.

Does that help?

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

Thanks, that does clear things up a bit.

However, with regard to the APs not showing up in the Local controller GUI, I need to log in directly to the local controller that is hosting those APs, correct? If that is correct, when I do that, they do not show up in the Local controller GUI.

For clarification:
Our master controller says that there are 2 APs terminated on Local controller x.x.x.4, so when I go directly to .4, there are no APs listed on that controller's GUI. When I ssh into .4, it shows the 2 APs are, in fact, terminated on it.

Thanks again. :)
Contributor II

Many Thanks

Thanks for everything! I don't know what happened, but the controller GUI is now showing the APs that are terminated on it. Problem resolved.
Contributor II

The final solution that we put into place is as follows:

We left the MASTER-STANDBY setup as is, meaning that they share a VRRP instance between them for fail-over.

We then created a single VRRP instance between the 2 new Local Controllers (basically establishing a second "master-standby" pair).

We then created what essentially amounts to 2 AP Groups. For our purposes, it ended up actually being 5 groups, one group for each distribution center that they are connected to (this way we can track what APs are going where).

They are essentially 2 AP Groups in that we pointed the LMS IP of some of the groups to the VRRP instance between the MASTER-STANDBY and we pointed the LMS IP of the other groups to the VRRP instance between the two Local Controllers.

This setup allows us to weight the VRRP instances heavier on our "Primary" Chassis. This gave us what we were looking for in having one chassis (2 controllers) handle the APs until a disaster strikes in which case they will failover to our standby location that houses the second Chassis.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: