New Contributor

Roaming Question

As i understand , when using one controller if the user moved from one AP ( Vlan 100 ) to another AP ( vlan 200 ) , he will still be handelled as if he was at Vlan 100 ( no ip change ) because the controller will be waware of his state
my question is : when he moved to another AP , his PC may have sent deassociation from first AP , so how come that the conytroller is still aware of him ?
Guru Elite

Re: Roaming Question

As i understand , when using one controller if the user moved from one AP ( Vlan 100 ) to another AP ( vlan 200 ) , he will still be handelled as if he was at Vlan 100 ( no ip change ) because the controller will be waware of his state
my question is : when he moved to another AP , his PC may have sent deassociation from first AP , so how come that the conytroller is still aware of him ?

To answer this question and quite a few more, please view the RF fundamentals video on this page here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/training-top/training

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thansk ,
i will view it & get back
New Contributor

I viewed all of it , it mentioned nothing about my Question above ? Can someone answer my questions ?
Aruba Employee

The event you are asking about would be a roaming event, not a drop and reconnect. If the device roams from on AP on controller 1 to another AP on controller 2 (and those two controllers dont have the same VLANs assigned to the VAP for the SSID that is in use), you won't see a media disconnect/reconnect. If your controllers are setup with IP Mobility (described pretty well in Campus Networks VRD, chapter 20), you will retain the IP address you had on controller 1 when you move to controller 2. Controller 2 will register your client with a care of address in the controller 2 subnet and controller 1 will then forward traffic meant for your client to controller 2s care of address, where it will then be delivered to the client.

If you disconnect and reconnect, I don't think you truly roamed and will probably get an address from the controller 2 VLAN.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: